Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200 HEPA Vacuum????

$200 HEPA Vacuum????

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this unit?

http://www.amazon.com/Vacmaster-VK81...=shop+vac+hepa

It has great reviews everywhere I've looked. At $212 it seems like a pretty good deal for a True HEPA machine. Even at the sale price of $299 the Fein Turbo II, by the time you add in the optional HEPA filtration, you're over the $400 mark. I can add a i-socket switch to the Vacmaster and still only be around half the price of the Fein, let alone a Festool.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 12-02-2013 at 1:26 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I've talked before about not having a shop vac setup. In fact, it has stirred up the number guys more than once because I said that my DC was doing an effective job with my hand tools.

However, When I saw this listing, it got me thinking about possibly adding one. I mean, there are certainly instances when portability, high suction power, and HEPA filtration just makes sense.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen and/or used one of these.

Stew Hagerty

Looks like a nice vac. The initial price alone makes it appear like a sound price point for the purchase. A few comments I have read say the hose is short for connecting to tools like sanders and such. Also comments are consistent that the wheels are poor over anything but smooth surfaces. I find it interesting that the bags are much more expensive than the Fein bags. The HEPA filter kit is also more expensive than the Fein when it needs replacing. Plus adding an i-socket switch for $35-40 to get the auto start feature makes the Vacmaster no where near the "half" price to the Fein as it seems. The Vacmaster is a lower cost unit with higher cost consumables.

I would be willing to say that the cost between it and the Fein would level out quickly over time especially if you need a longer hose, frequently filling up bags, added switch.

I have the Fein Turbo II and been very happy with it. I've also been looking at getting another vac for doing work in the house, redoing several rooms, so I can keep a vac in the shop as well. One of my main requirements that led me to buying the Fein initially was for its low sound level. Not many vacs are quiet like the Feins and Festools. No mention of sound level for the Vacmaster. I can get genuine Fein bags for 3/$12.99 on ebay with free shipping. The Vacmaster bags are 2/$29 on Amazon.

Doing the math, the Vacmaster may not be as low cost as it first appears.

But the nice thing with Amazon is how easy it is to return things if you don't like it. So little risk for you.

Blog Entries
    Looks interesting and reads like a nice unit but, having a HEPA filter dos not make you HEPA compliant so make sure you are getting what you are looking for. I have a HEPA filter in my Ridgid vacs and the improvement is substantial but, would never try to claim the vacs were HEPA compliant. Come to think about it, my upright house vacuum has a HEPA filter blazing right out there in front where it looks really cool. It is a nice term that folks have become familiar with and now seems to be bandied about like "Heavy Duty" and "Industrial". This doesn't make the vac bad, it just doesn't assure you that it is good ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-02-2013 at 1:51 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stew, unless I missed it, I can't find where it says the vacuum is a HEPA certified unit.

I did find that it has a HEPA filter, however as you know that's meaningless...........Regards, Rod.

I also just use the 1 micron Fein filter which is $33 instead of the 0.3 micron HEPA $89 filter. But I always wear a dust mask and have a ceiling mounted air filtration unit in the shop. Perfectly adequate I feel for power sanding epoxy on my boat project. Others may disagree. Unless you are in a business environment with mandated federal requirements, I personally think for the home shop for someone with no allergy issues, true HEPA isn't a requirement. Some of these units are probably more "leaky" than we realize w.r.t to the motor housing sealing to the canister anyway.

Count me as the type who uses the fein TII with the stock filter without getting swept up in the need for sub sub micron filtering. At any rate, that device looks like a good price. It's 2 stage, so it should have a good strong draw, and it's not too expensive.

Is the $299 price on the Fein TII a good deal or can it usually be had for that?

Stew Hagerty

That's the standard Amazon price for the 9 gallon Fein. That's what I paid less than 2 years ago. There is a new one on ebay for $289 with free shipping (only low price I have ever seen.), but Amazon is so easy if there are any issues. Usually other retailers sell the Fein TII for close to $400.

You will get standard a lot more fittings with the Vacmaster than the Fein. The Fein kit with all the extensions and vac accessories is extra, so too are the bags and filters. It all depends on what you need and intend to use any vac for.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 12-02-2013 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Stew, unless I missed it, I can't find where it says the vacuum is a HEPA certified unit.

I did find that it has a HEPA filter, however as you know that's meaningless...........Regards, Rod.
    If you zoom-in on the top of the picture, it says "CERTIFIED HEPA" right there in yellow on black.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    If you zoom-in on the top of the picture, it says "CERTIFIED HEPA" right there in yellow on black.
    That was my point Phil, it isn't a certified HEPA vacuum, it's a vacuum with a HEPA filter, big difference...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That was my point Phil, it isn't a certified HEPA vacuum, it's a vacuum with a HEPA filter, big difference...........Regards, Rod.
    KO... Well now that it IS Certified HEPA, what do you all think? Does that make any difference in your opinions?

Stew Hagerty

Stew, no it doesn't since it's not a HEPA certified vacuum, it's a vacuum with a HEPA certified filter, enormous difference................Regards, Rod.

What is the "enormous difference" you are talking about?

From the manufacturer's website:
    VK811PH

Industrial HEPA Certified Wet/Dry Vac with 2-Stage Motor
    - 8 Gallon

106 Waterlift

Certifiably crazy tough.
    This HEPA filtered vacuum is certified to comply with EPA's new Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule). The certified HEPA filter is 99.97% efficient up to .3 microns. The 2-stage industrial motor provides max water lift of 106" and ultra quiet operation.