Thread: Jet 10-20 drum sander vibrations.... Fixed

Jet 10-20 drum sander vibrations.... Fixed

I am sure it is just that I do not have all the dust collector I need for the drum sander.

Today I was sanding some cutting boards and stopped the sander and then when I started it up there was a noticeable vibration which I have never had before.

Shut it down to find out what was going on and when I rotated the drum by hand some sanding dust fell out of the end of the drum.

I could get the air hose out and blow the inside of the drum but then I would get the sanding dust everywhere.

So I looked around and noted that I had two crevice tools for my shop vac. I cut the end off square and made a wooden plug and hot glued it in one of them. Then cut a hole in the side for the vacuum.

I tapped on the drum a few times with a piece of scrap and then put the tool between the frame and the back end of the drum, WOW out came a bunch of dust and now it is running smooth as silk as normal.

Don't know if this is just my problem or others have the same thing.

PC020965.jpg PC020966.jpg

Bill, I see that this is an old thread, but I'm thinking seriously about the Jet 10-20 myself. I have a strong Shop Vac, which I was thinking of adapting to the 4" port on the sander, but was told by an Amazon reviewer that I would really need a dust collector. I'd like to get your thoughts (and anyone else's) on that. Thanks!

I have a Jet 10-20 with a 1HP Penn State dust collector. It works well, but don't think I would want a collector any smaller. As you may know there is a technical difference between a dust collector and a shop vac. A dust collector in general moves a large volume of air to gather small particles where a vac creates a larger pressure difference to make it useful for gathering large/heavy chips. A sander generates lots of very fine dust so the former is the correct tool for the job. Yes, you can use a shop vac but don't expect it to gather all of the fine dust particles.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Bill, I see that this is an old thread, but I'm thinking seriously about the Jet 10-20 myself. I have a strong Shop Vac, which I was thinking of adapting to the 4" port on the sander, but was told by an Amazon reviewer that I would really need a dust collector. I'd like to get your thoughts (and anyone else's) on that. Thanks!
    I was using a 6HP Ridgid vac and it was just enough, but if I was sanding a board that was say 8" wide it would get some dust in the air. There is no question that a good DC would be better but if you have a good shop vac you can get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I was using a 6HP Ridgid vac and it was just enough, but if I was sanding a board that was say 8" wide it would get some dust in the air. There is no question that a good DC would be better but if you have a good shop vac you can get by.
    Man I dislike those fake HP numbers. My 5HP Clearvue is overkill for my 22/44 drum sander.

A good guideline would be to size the DC to the dust port built into the sander. If the sander has a 4" port, then a 4" DC port should be the minimum. Most shop vacs are 2.5" or less so you have to expect weak dust collection for a drum sander. Wear a dust mask for a second layer of protection.

Steve

Thanks for the responses, guys. Yes, I'm aware that DCs and shop vacs suck in different ways (), just wondering if my Shop Vac would work at all. It's listed at 6hp, which I guess is a certain amount of marketing hype. I'm kinda on the fence about the sander. I know it's small for that kind of machine, and I understand that it's not a planer, etc. But pretty much all of what I do is small scale, boxes, for the most part. I'm more interested in being able to accurately flatten small panels, rather than making stock thinner.

I own a 10-20 and a 16-32. I use both all the time. I usually have 80 grit on the big sander and 150 grit on the small one. I normally use them to surface and thickness sand resawn 1/4 to 5/8 inch stock. I make boxes and carve products on my CNC router. The thickness needs to be accurate and uniform and the Jet machines do the job.

I have used a Delta 1.5 hp Delta bag type dust collector with a Oneida Super Dust Deputy separator and it is near 100% efficient. I don't think I would want to use a shop vacuum except as a temporary solution.

8. I used to have that happen quite often, but I found a solution that is working for me. There is a lot of open space on the end and the in feed and out feed openings. I closed up some of that open area with three items:
    1. A removable end cover (just a piece of corroplast with some sticky backed velcro
    2. A hinged swinging "gate" on the out feed side
    3. A tape flap to restrict the in feed opening a little
    This has made the dust control much better and eliminated the build up in the drum. The fact that almost no noticeable dust escapes is a big plus. It has been a somewhat crude, but very effective solution. The openings could be further restricted, but it doesn't seem necessary in my case.
    1222161742.jpg
    1222161742a.jpg
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 12-22-2016 at 6:01 PM.