Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was the peak for US car design?

Depending on your age...

For me, the late 50's
    For my wife the late 60's
    For my kids the late 70's
    for my Grandkids the early 90's

Blog Entries
    Studebaker Avanti!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

esders3.jpgBugatti
    1932_lincoln_kb_victoria_27942737.jpgLincoln
    904.jpgPackard
    1934-duesenberg-02.jpgDuesenberg
    and my favorite all time:

Blog Entries
    How about a nice old Dodge found stashed away in an old barn?

http://www.californiaclassix.com/arc...dge_c154x.html

I always liked my mom's '39 Packard.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are certainly many eras of outstanding automotive design. Honestly, we're in another one right now, but just don't know it yet. There's some really good work going on in the industry that combines style, engineering, new materials and new methods to product more power economically. Don't underestimate the automotive world!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I'm not talking about the practical aspects of the cars, because now is better than ever. I am thinking about the esthetic of the design, and the ability of the design to convey emotion.

1969 or 1970? Camaro and Mustang were at their peak. Chevelle. Corvette. TRANS AM (1970, this car is in capitol letters). Charger, cuda, chalenger. GTO (again in caps).

Proof of the pudding? Look at the current mustang, camaro, challenger.

Any other "Golden Times"?
    Between 1968 to 1970.

Blog Entries
    The cars keep betting better and better in both style, quality and functionality. I don't see a peak. Personally I like something very new or something from the time period before I was born. I don't get excited about the cars that seem so popular in the Woodward Dream cruise, those from the 60's and 70's. Unless it is a 1962 Falcon, white with a red bucket seat interior like I learned to drive on (my mom's car, never had a car of my own until I got married).

Great photo, really nice car......................Rod.

Loved my 55 Chevy Nomad but to really get me salivating it took a trip to the UK and this beautiful Austin Healey.

image-151490548.jpg
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I miss my ultimate muscle car. 1970 Dodge Challenger. 440 six-pac with a 3/4 cam and Hurst transmission. I had it when I was a PFC in the Army. at 90MPH in third gear, it would skip sideways shifting into 4th with the accelerator floored!

At 57 today, I'd probably just scare the crap out of myself with that car....but it was a great car when I was young...and stupid!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Ahhh my fav was my 58 Buick Century (50 years ago) weighed over 4000 lbs, and covered with chrome. Mine was metallic Green

1957-1958-buick-25.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Some cool cars you guys posted. Had a my first car was a 70 Chevelle, 350 auto car. By the time I had to sell it to support a new family, it was a hot 454 and a four speed. What a fun car, would love to have it back, but it would be a silly use of money for me. At this point in my life, I personally think my 2500HD GMC Sierra is pretty darn good. Its the Allison trans and Duramax diesel combo. You can hit the 96 mph rev limiter when passing a slower car, easily, and it can effortlessly pull 30,000 pounds on the big gooseneck trailer. I even like the looks!

Ok, that was an attempt convince myself I don't need another Chevelle...

Blog Entries
    My tastes would be the muscle cars of around 1970. A lot of them. The Fords, GM's and Dodge's.

I bought one of the new Chargers when they came back out in 2006. It's not a classic Charger but it's been a pleasure to own it.

PHM

Hey Steve - a truck like yours is PERFECT for hauling a race car! Get another Chevelle, buy a trailer and take the family drag racing! Itll be a great way to spend time together!

Just tryin to help you man! ; )
    Fred

Without a doubt in my mind, 1950s. In fact, I think the 1950s were golden years for industrial design in general. If we had kept up, and kept experimenting and innovating, the US could really have been a force to reckon with amongst designers worldwide. I don't think we've ever fully recovered from the dark times of the 60s. It completely sucked the whimsy right out of our culture.