Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to shake hands??

How NOT to shake hands??

I know that this sounds kind of silly but......

I had surgery on my right hand back in September and been in a cast or splint since then. (the surgery was called four corner wrist fusion.)

I have now graduated to not needing the splint or brace except when doing heavier work. However, I really do not want to shake hands with it as I have a fear that someone will decide to show me how strong they are and really squeeze on my hand. I have gone through way to much to have something bad happen to it now.

How do I politely decline shaking hands? I would like to avoid having to explain why I do not want to shake hands every time someone sticks out their hand to shake.

Use your other hand and folks will soon get the idea.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

+1 to the other hand.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yep, use your left hand... it confuses the heck out of them.

They will also not have a tendency to play hydraulic press with their weak hand, either... unless they're a lefty. LOL

Left hand as well, or.....I hate to say it, but a loose, almost limp grip gives people the idea. My right hand is quite badly damaged, and I have to resort to these all the time. I'm a big guy, so some people think they have to engage in a strength war every time they shake hands with me.
    Paul

Ah could ya just mention that you've had recently had hand surgery?

Don't use your left hand...that's awkward. Keep something in your hand, like a hat, when possible or keep the brace on. When you can't do those things then just explain! I had same situation after elbow surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I know that this sounds kind of silly but......

I had surgery on my right hand....

How do I politely decline shaking hands? I would like to avoid having to explain why I do not want to shake hands every time someone sticks out their hand to shake.
    I don't know if there is a good way to decline without explaining, even if briefly. Simply politely decline with, "I had surgery on my hand".

Quickly redirect and refocus, have them answering questions; how long are you in town, where do you work; something appropriate to the situation.

Shaking hands is a good way to spread the common cold.

If you like her, kiss her instead

I have some severe UC/Crohn's disease that causes me to be on very strong immune system suppressants. I have become somewhat of a germaphobe after getting 2 additional life threatening illnesses brought on by the weak immune system. I have resorted to the fist bump with folks I know. They get it. When I meet someone new I struggle with this issue as well. Mine is a bit easier as I can shake hands and use hand sanitizer. However that comes across as rude. (At least I think it seems extremely rude) So I have a quick one liner about not shaking hands. Its what I could come up with to not get sick but not be a complete tool to people either. I know these are not exactly the same thing but similiar enough that I can understand where you're coming from....

At church, I have to "shake hands" with everybody. What I have resorted to (especially during cold and flu season) is the fist bump. I initiate it...that saves from having to redirect a handshake offer.

Left hands are perfectly acceptable fist bumps.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    When I shake hands I somewhat try to match the grip of the other person in deference to possible hand problems. But I do have a lower limit, no one is going to get a "limp fish" hand shake from me. They are just plain creepy. But not uncommon to get a hand crusher that I simply haven't the strength to match. But I agree with the fist bump or left hand option in the case of hand injury, good idea.

Fist bumps should be reserved for rappers and teenagers. Men shake hands, threat of the sniffles be damned.

Left hand and "Sorry about that, I just had surgery on my right hand" if someone has an awkward response.

Absolutely, left hand.

There are too many thoughtless, moronic 'crushers' out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Johnson View Post
    Fist bumps should be reserved for rappers and teenagers. Men shake hands, threat of the sniffles be damned.
    No...now the list would read, "Rappers, teenagers, Major League Baseball Players...and Pastors (who think they are any of the former)"...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.