Thread: A little bit of pink ivory

A little bit of pink ivory

A couple of pink ivory saws for a young one. Dove tail--17ppi, 3*fleam, 11* rake, Open carcass--14ppi, 15* rake, 25* fleam, Closed carcass--12ppi, 13* rake, 10* fleam. Enough said.
    http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5f969b2.jpg
    http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6676acbb.jpg
    http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36be4ff9.jpg
    http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps141ca12f.jpg

Blog Entries
    Wow! Imagine me being that cartoon character whose eyes pop out of his head and then spring back! You are the master. What is this pink ivory? I am not familiar with it. Looks amazing.

Looks great, Ron. How is that stuff to work? Comparable to one of the ebonies or rosewoods? I got to use a plane that Konrad Sauer used that for the infill, and really loved the look of it. I'd love to pick some up for something someday. How well does it keep it's color over time? Does it oxidize the same way something like padauk or purpleheart does?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    What is this pink ivory?
    I believe it come from the tusks of pink elephants. It is very rare and only available on the black market. Shame on you Ron!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Some sassy saws!

Very nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I believe it come from the tusks of pink elephants. It is very rare and only available on the black market. Shame on you Ron!
    Now I have the song from that sequence from Dumbo that terrified me as a child stuck in my head. Thanks, Chris.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Nice looking handles Ron,I have not seen such large pieces of pink ivory before.Its one of those woods I do like but am sensitive to the dust, so I stay away from it.
    I turned some candle stick holders from it years ago.The color did stay strong.Thanks for sharing.Andrew

Well, When I first heard of it I thought it might be soft. Like the color pink. Ha ha. The joke was on me. It appears harder than Cocobolo and chips easily. I doubt I will make any future handles out of it without a substantial up charge. I have one I will have to replace due to a small crack from fitting the saw nuts. The handles actually came out very well until I fit the saw fasteners. I like them to be snug and they are turned with a slight chamfer to avoid damaging the wood. But this stuff doesn't give at all. So better to have saw fasteners a little loose than snug. ( Lessoned learned the hard way) At about $70.00 a bd ft and full of defects to work around. It is just not worth it. My custom mortise chisel for the saw fasteners is A2 steel and they had a tuff time penetrating the wood. I dulled my Lie Nielsen chisel, as well. The saw plate slits were cut very slowly and carefully.
    I believe the color will brown out a little with time. The surface was a little brownish when I received the wood but is very pink rasped and sanded. Then goes a little brown owing to the finish. We'll chalk this one up to experience. Just living and learning.

After working on these I wish I had ingested the substance required to see those pink elephants.

Them is sure purdy. Really dig the first one.

I just dug out some left overs, of my pink ivory it's still pretty pink must be about 8 or 9 years without any finish.But it's not been in any light.And I do agree its hard maybe even harder then ebony,almost as hard as Chinese arithmetic.
    If you really want to punish you tools try some snake wood.Stuff was super hard poison!Mitch at tropical and exocits of Latin America just south of me.Sells it.
    Its nice to see saws with special handles.You do nice work.

Another very careful pice of work,Ron!! Have you tried violet wood? I reproduced a stitching frame from it. some time ago. A very pretty color wood Hard as blazes,too.

Hi George. Can't say I have ever even seen violet wood. I will have to look that one up. The Pink ivory was a custom order. The piece I found was about 3ft long and maybe about 13" wide I think. Just full of cracks, etc. But I still have enough for a few handles. So who knows. I need to use it up. It was costly.