Thread: Shut off Z datum in LaserCut 5.3

Shut off Z datum in LaserCut 5.3

Is there a way to shut off the Z Datum?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

guess not, I'll use the redneck solution.....
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Hiya Brian,

You mean the machine having a datum option when finished cutting for the Z axis?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Hi Dave,
    no, the button on the panel, it's used for the auto focus. It's easy to accidentally hit it, and the
    auto focus works about as good as the Epilog's, in other words, I took that one off after about 2 weeks of ownership. I'd rather manually focus than trust the sensor. When they work they work, when they don't
    the machine crashes and really makes a mess of things. Not worth the chance you take IMHO.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I agree Brian, they aren't that accurate either and like you say, when they fail the damage can put a machine offline for a while

I'm not sure how you disable it in LaserCUT though,there is a Z axis autodatum function but I'm not sure if that's linked to the AF though.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I don't know how you can do it on the Epilog, but on my Hurricane/G Weike I just removed the belt from the Z motor.
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

Blog Entries
    Brian,

Could you make a little cover for the button on the panel? That would keep you from hitting it accidentally. Could be as simple as a little cup like affair stuck there with double side tape?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hi David, yes, that was the "redneck solution" I was referring to!
    I'll make a cover from plastic with a hole big enough for a pen, in case I really want to
    use it.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290