Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here and just saying HI

New here and just saying HI

I just signed up yesterday.

Please forgive any spelling errors. I was in a bombing in the Middle East and have a lot of brain damage.

I LOVE turning and watch DVDs on tuning so I can learn to turn other things. I turn from a wheelchair and have a Delta 46-460 lathe.

If anyone knows of someone selling a lathe that I can turn from the end of the bed or it turns 180* please let me know. It is extremely hard for me to turn sideways to the lathe.

I also teach other Vets / Active Duty and their families how to turn. Mostly pens I donate to them to turn and now I started teaching bowls and vase.

Thank You
    Arlin

Welcome to Sawmill Creek and thank you for your service.

Hi Arlin, welcome and thank you for serving our country. Check out Oneway's sit down lathe and I think Robust has one as well but maybe not what you are thinking of. Please share some pictures of your work.

4. Welcome aboard, Arlin! Thank you for your service to our country!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Welcome fellow Vet. There are a number of lathes available that have sliding head stocks . This allows one to turn off the end of the lathe. My Jet 1642 is just one. There are others on the forum that can suggest head stocks that swivel.

Dwight

Thank you very much. It is had learning how to go in this system.
    I did notice that an individual is selling a Nova 3000 and it looks like something I can use. I can not contact him for some reason.
    I also notice this has spell check and that a person can not type very fast here or it skips letter or puts them all together.

I have been turning for about 4 years, but a total of only 40 hours or so.

Arlin

Hayes

I have tried both of those lathes from afew other guys that had them. Both of them do not slide down the end of the bed or swivel. They just tilt the whole frame down to a lower height. I really need the lathe of what I mentioned.

I retired from Mountain Home AFB ID. That was my first retirement. I was recalled after 9/11 and served another 5 years.

Thanks for the tips thou.

Arlin

welcome, thanks for your service

Thank you for your service Arlin and you may want to look at the Nova DVR-XP. The head can be turned 90% and with a stand that is the right height for you it would work out just right I think.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

As the others have said, thank you for your service. It can't be said enough. There are several very active turners in the AAW who are wheelchair bound. One of them demonstrated in the vendor area at the last symposium. I'm sure you we could put you in touch if you are interested. He might have some insights.

Arlin
    Glad you found us everyone here is very helpful. Thanks for your service, 20yr 2mts 14days USAF Retired 01/12/93. Check with Robust they have a sliding head lathe. If your in a club you might think about seeing if someone could help you build or modify a lathe to fit you.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks Harry

I do belong to a club and the AAW. That is how I found he Oneway and the Robust sitdown lathes do not work. Other then that the new lathes are way out of my budget for sure. I had 20 years 1 month 4 days and then recalled and put in another 4 years 8 months and 6 days in before my last accident

Thanks Dale

Thanks Guys

There is a lot of people responding and it is hard for me to keep up.
    Arlin

All of our respect and thanks. Best of luck.