Thread: Sawstop Industrial Mobile Base & Cast Iron Router Extension Wing?

Sawstop Industrial Mobile Base & Cast Iron Router Extension Wing?

Has anyone replaced the extension table with a cast iron router table on a 52" 3HP Sawstop PCS with the Industrial Mobile Base? I know the base lifts the entire table vertically. Any problems with tipping?

The saw will go against the wall when not in use, so mobility is key.

Is there a better base for this application? Does the weight of the cast iron router table necessitate a mobile base that includes wheels under the extension?

NOTE: I know there are cons to installing a router extension wing in a table saw While a debate on the topic would be both informative and fun for all, I don't want to get into that, here. Please assume the shop gods have predestined a router extension wing config. this time around. The open question is about the best base for such a config.

Thank you for playing.

I did this, but on a SS PCS w/32" rails. I too, was concerned about the weight, so I added a mobile base to the router extension for support. When the base lifts, it doesn't lift the cabinet for the router table, which rides on it's own castors. The extension is bolted to the saw rails, the cabinet is attached to the top with 4 carriage bolts and provides support when the saw is lowered. When the saw is raised, there is ~ 3" of bolt before the head where it attaches to the cabinet to let the top raise independently. If nothing else, I think you want a cabinet for dust collection. This is my setup. The cabinet was hastily slapped together out of shop ply. You could certainly build something nicer, but this has served me quite well. The industrial mobile base is the best base I have used, I highly recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did on a Sawstop contractor's saw with 52" rails. And yes, if unsupported on my version it can (and did) tip over. Not sure if the heavier saw you are talking about would have that issue.

When I built mine, the tipping came as a rude (and dangerous) surprise. Don't underestimate the large lever are with the weight at the end.

I also built a cabinet under mine, to avoid that issue (and provide plentiful storage). This is an old picture. Lots of modifications since, but you get the idea. Total support under the right side of the table, and on casters.

Completed-Old-Table-before-outfeed,-mods.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 12-07-2013 at 4:14 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have my Jet saw and router table setup in the Jet Mobile base http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708119-JMB.../dp/B00006S7CF with the extension kit http://www.amazon.com/708158-Mobile-...bxgy_hi_text_y Works great with the extension legs and you will need some extension legs to keep the saw from tipping over, with all that weight from the router outboard. The thing I like most about the Jet base is that the saw stays at the same height, your not lifting and dropping ti to move it. You lock the wheels when you have it where you want it and it is very stable this way. I don't like the mobile bases that lift and then drop the saw, except for the Saw Stop Industrial Hydraulic base, that is the best base made but it's also very expensive.

My setup is almost identical to Dave Anthony's including the Jessem Slider except I don't have anything under the cast iron router table on the right side of the saw. I have no problems with tipping and the Industrial Mobile Base is the best mobile base I have seen. Its hydraulic action works really well and it is very stable.

My local shop helped with a test. They have a 52" ICS with matching base, which should be more stable than the PCS. We simply set my cast iron router table on top of the far right end of their extension table, jacked up the mobile base, and watched. Result: the feet under the extension table never left the ground. So, no SS mobile base for me.

The Jet mobile base is the leading candidate at this point. Any other great ideas?

Do you have another thread with more details on how you did this? I'm buying the Incra joinery fence and also have an extra 12" wing + Benchdog Promax ... I'd rather build a base under that still allows me to use the Industrial lift and move the saw without breaking anything versus buying the support legs.

8. Robert, you're not worried the cast iron will snap with all the weight? Do you have it mounted to the stock fence or the thicker L bracket? Not sure how much weight the Incra can support.

Ive got the same setup and thought about swapping the extension for cast iron wings, but then when I thought about it more I just couldnt find a valid reason for doing so. The extension that it comes with is just fine for supporting longer cuts. It would also be that much more cast iron table top Id have to care for to keep from rusting. What would be the actual real world advantage to making the extension all cast iron?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

10. I considered bolting the RT extension directly to the TS extension but since my fence will sit 50" to the right of the blade, this would leave a gap of 12" (10" on the TS itself, 12" extension, 16" Benchdog). This doesn't seem visually appealing and I don't think I want to stand between the fence rails when I do my routering work so I'm going to go with an extra 12" wing to resolve this. It also allows me to build a nice mobile base underneath the RT for dust collection and storage.

Danny, can you share some pics on how you attached the RT base to the table? I'm ready to assemble my saw but am afraid of messing up the Incra fence or breaking any of the cast iron so I'd like to build the base first.