Thread: First project for a beginner

First project for a beginner

I've recently taken an interest in woodworking and would like to take a crack at my first project.

It's going to be a basic a/v cabinet. Something along the lines of this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/S...BG_217SEBG.jpg

However, I have two advent speakers on either side:

http://www.gallagher.com/photos/stereo/advents_1.jpg

I'm thinking it might look odd having such a small cabinet in between. What about a tv stand for a large flat screen that would have components on one half and a decoration of some kind on the other for balance?

Very simple I know. I only have two components to put inside of it. A stereo receiver and a network media player both of which I'll measure. There will just be one shelf and it will be open faced. I'd like to use solid wood for all but the backing with raised legs to give it some height. I'll mount a flat screen tv on the wall above it.

Are there any books that would be good for a beginner to use that would walk me through step by step making a simple cabinet like this?

I was thinking about using walnut to match the speakers. Do you think that would be a good idea?
    Last edited by Timothy McKee LB; 12-07-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Hi Tim. Welcome to this forum.

What tools do you have at your disposal? That will help with recommendations for joinery/assembly.

This forum will be worth a lot more than a book.

Todd

Todd,

As of right now I only have a power drill and other hand tools like hammer, screwdriver etc. I don't have a garage so I was trying to avoid buying a table saw. I'd be willing to invest in clamps, a circular saw, and/or kreg jig perhaps.

I'd really like to make something quality even if it takes me awhile.

To use power tools, you'll need any old table. To use handle tools, you'll need something that resembles a work bench, where you can clamp your wood to the table, so you can use your hand tools.

Circular saws are fine, (as are hand saws), but with either one, you'll need to be able to clean up the saw cut, so a hand plane or a lot of sanding will be in order. A hand plane would work fine, but again, you gotta clamp your wood down to use it. To glue wood together, in a quality manner, you'll need flat square edges. A trained (self trained or otherwise) person can do this with a hand plane in short order, but a novice will most likely take some practice and make a few mistakes initially.

Joinery gets tricky, but a Kreg jig certainly simplifies that. Although, some might argue that QUALITY and KREG JOINERY shouldn't be used in the same sentence, unless you are talking about the quality of the Kreg jig, and not the quality of the piece of furniture that was built with it. Dovetails can be make with simple tools, but quality dovetails take a while to learn. There has been a lot of furniture made with nails and/or screws, but you'll have to define what quality means in your work.

I suggest starting with projects that will let you define your skills and aid you in subsequent projects, until you reach the confidence level you need to tackle a piece of indoor furniture.

Todd

Just a suggestion - you might consider a track saw, rather than a simple circular saw, as your next power tool purchase. Such a tool will greatly improve your cut quality and accuracy and reduce the level of skill required to get good results. It is easy to set up and stores in a small space. Many people use a track saw instead of a table saw. The cheapest one I know of is sold by Grizzly and Festool manufactures one of the best and most expensive. In between are models made by Makita (which I have) and Dewalt. There are other less common models too.

Thanks. I've been browsing through some woodworking articles and doing some research this morning. I think Todd is right and I want to avoid kreg joinery and do something nice for this project. There's a community woodshop near me with an onsite craftsman who can help me if I need it. Also, this project is so small, if I really botch it it won't be too big of a deal.

What do you guys think of using machine cut box joints for the corners instead of dovetails? Will those be strong enough for such a small box, considering the tv wont be resting on it anyways? Also, for the shelf inside do I need to make a dado joint on the interior? How would I join the plywood to the rear of the box?

Are the tools needed to make box joints relatively inexpensive?

Plenty strong. Using modern glue, the box joint is the strongest joint there is. I used them ALL THE time. I use a tablesaw with a stacked dado and a sliding jig. You can also use a router with a finger joint jig.

A dado (across the grain) or a groove (same as a dado, with the grain), would be a fine choice for a shelf. A blind dado (where you don't cut all the way through the front face) would be the higher quality joint. If you wanted to really test your skills, you could do a sliding tapered dovetail for the shelf.

Plywood backs are typically set into a shallow rabbet cut on all pieces of the sides and top and bottom. Brads or staples work great.

Todd

So I'd have to buy a table saw or router in order to make box joints? My next project is probably going to be a stand up desk or a coffee table. Should I just pull the trigger on a table saw now?

If you don't have a garage - where are you going to place a table saw? You can use community wood shop for a project and see if you would like to continue to do woodworking.
    Buying a n any stationary ww tools like a chain reaction - if you have a table saw you will need a dust collection, same with bandsaw and other. Beauty of hand tools - quite, no noise, much less dust, less space to do a work.
    And welcome to the forum.
    Ed.

Hi Ed,

I was thinking of something like this that could be put in the closet:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-1...zg_bs_552962_1

or

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7480...zg_bs_552962_5

Would those work if put on a table?

I've tried to look for a community woodshop near to me but the closest one is about an hour and a half away. After all the trips I'd make back and forth I'd probably save money just by buying the table saw I need.