Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

9 Dec 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
    It's been pretty cold here and the weather we got was not snow....but sleet and ice. Woke up this morning at it is 33 degrees F which is warmer than it's been over the entire weekend. Road conditions are greatly improved but my driveway is still mostly ice. I'm hoping that today will be the day that most of this goes away. But, the good thing out of all this is that I was able to get in some good shop time over the weekend and work on more cutting boards and the LOML Jr's blanket chest. I am truly thankful for a shop with natural gas heat but I do hope to have a wood burning stove out there one day.

It's back to the day job today and I hope and pray that all of you are well, safe, and warm.
    So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I was out of town Tuesday-Friday for work and took an EARLY flight home Friday so while I started my weekend early it started with a nap. Some family was visiting so we spent time Friday evening, Saturday and most of Sunday at my parents. I did get a few hours in the shop which I used to build a couple simple pine benches that will be used by others for a class artwork project for our school auction. I said I'd prime and paint the base color on those which I hope to get done this week.

I made some lumber

On Saturday morning I went to a friend'house to help him get a limb out of his yard.

1463392_10151800452523309_767398128_n.jpg 1426750_10151800452608309_680285616_n.jpg 1452405_10151800452408309_1902739233_n.jpg

It was 18-19" in diameter at the base with several branches in the 6-10" range. Overall it was about 50' long.On Sunday afternoon, I was finally able to get the newest addition to my woodworking tool collection running.

DSC04187a.jpg
    PC080337.jpg
    PC080338.jpg
    PC080339.jpg

It started as a 22" diameter 80" long white pine. It ended as 94 board feet of lumber, all 4/4 ranging from 5" to 13" wide.

The mill is a 1997 Wood-Mizer LT25. I don't think it has been used in years. It has needed some TLC just to get this far and still needs a bit more.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 12-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is cold here (by Southern California Standards) so some options were limited. I will be on business travel this week, so some time was spent getting prepared. Lots of laundry, errands, etc....

Yesterday I took the family to dinner and a movie. We had to walk out of the first restaurant because the serving staff felt it was more important to talk to each other than serve the customer. After we were seated we were ignored for the longest time (no beverage orders, etc...). We walked out after I gave the manager a bit of feedback around how they performed in the hospitality business. The movie was very good though, and we all enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we came home and found the freezer unit in our kitchen refrigerator/freezer had failed. It's always something. Now off to a week of business travel.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Hot day here in East Central Florida. I spent the weekend putting together my new Hammer A3-41, and will now spend today putting together my new Powermatic 3520B that was delivered about an hour ago! Sold some of the items that I'm replacing with Festool and other European gear. Craigslist is my friend!

Lots to do this week and no time for actual WW'ing. Parents-in-Law moving in from New York State on Saturday to escape the winter and looking for a house down here to move. Need to have the house and tile cleaned after finally moving a lot of boxed stuff out of the house. Nice to have them taking care of the house while I'm gone. I leave for Germany to spend Xmas and New Year with my wife and son, then back to Nigeria for 6-weeks on the 8th of January...Ugh! Hopefully will be able to start having fun in the shop in March! In the meantime, I just continue to drool over my LifeLong new machines and tools.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Actually spent Sunday handing out clothes, blankets, food, etc... to the homeless. It started out as a group of 4 or 5 of us, and snowballed into a group with dozens of volunteers staging a hot meal at a community center with the homeless being bused in from the different shelters around Toledo. Micki & I manned the coffee, hot chocolate table, while others manned tables piled with blankets, coats, clothing, non-perishable food. Santa even showed up for the children.....