Thread: Laser engraving acrylic pens question

Laser engraving acrylic pens question

My son is making an acrylic pen & pencil set for his coach and we would like to get them engraved with the basketball league logo & the coach's name.

I have a couple of questions. At what point in making the pens is it best to have them engraved? I would presume before they are assembled.

How how much should I expect to pay for this? Then kits are the Woodcraft Wallstreet II kits.

Thanks
    Craig

Craig, right, the best time to engrave the pen is after the tube is turned and finished/polished, but before final assembly. If you can find a walk-in shop near you, it ought to run $10-15ish, maybe more depending on any setup work the logo might need. If you need to ship it off, add postage on top of that. What part of Colorado do you hail from - maybe an area engraver will pipe up here.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

I echo what Steve said. We engrave hundreds of pens per year. We always engrave before assembly just in case something goes wrong with the engraving. Also you might want to look into some color fill if you are engraving acrylic, I can't see where that would show up very well.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Craig,

You will find a sizable list of engravers in our Friends of The Creek Directory and their locations.
    Click the link below.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the Friends of the Creek Directory also.