Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best small sander

Blog Entries

Best small sander

I am looking to pick up a three sanders to use as Christmas gifts (including one for myself). So I am not looking for Festool type features or pricing. What I am looking for is probably a 5" round ROS or possibly a quarter sheet palm sander with GOOD BUILT IN dust collection. The other folks that will be getting these probably won't take the time to hook them up to a shop vac. Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch are a few that come to mind. Any recommendations?

I have a Dewalt ROS and the dust collection is pretty good on it. The bag actually fills up with dust on it when I'm not using a vacuum with it. On the other hand I have a Dewalt palm sander that is absolutely terrible at collecting dust although it sands really well. If dust collection is your primary concern I would steer away from the Dewalt palm sander, but I would recommend their ROS.

I received a Milwaukee soft start VS 5" 8 hole for Christmas a couple years ago. I love the sander, but I wouldn't say it's great at dust collection. Better than the cheap ones, but not great. I'm not even sure how to connect it to a vac - it doesn't appear the vac hose fits easily. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

I have a Milwaukee 6021 5" VS, 8 hole. Might be different from David's because both small and large shop vac hosed fit right on it. DC is pretty decent with the bag, and really good with the shop vac. I like it so much I sold my Bosch ROS.

Rick Potter

I also have the DeWalt 5" 8-hole ROS. What a little work horse! I have spent hundreds of hours using it. Dust collection is actually pretty good. You cannot go wrong with this one for the $. Be sure and buy an extra pad because the pad will wear out after long term, repeated use. The hook and loops get worn out. The replacement pads are about $15.

One thing that you might consider. I have a Bosch 6" 8-hole ROS. You would not believe the extra area that going from 5" to 6" amounts to. It is a huge difference if you do a lot of sanding like I do. Of course, the price is about double, but if you spend a lot of hours sanding, it is well worth it.

I have a Dewalt 421 that I have had for many years, like 15 years. I have replaced the O-ring on the dust collector once and I have replaced the pad 2 times.

The sander is my go to sander, it is small and fits my hand really well. The dust collection is good and I also use the vac on it and that works well also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Anybody with the Ridgid 5" ROS? Personally I have a DeWalt 1/4 sheet palm sander and find that dust collection is almost non-existent. And I have my PC 7336 5" VS ROS outfitted with a 6" pad and a dust collection shroud/hose for the big jobs. Funny, with the 5" pad it walked all over the place, with the 6" pad it is so much easier to use. So for me, I am looking for a sander for the small jobs that doesn't justify hooking up the PC and having to use two hands, yet does OK at dust collection.

I have a PC 390 that I like, it is OK with the on board DC but not the greatest and I use it with my Shopvac. I have a friend that has the Bosch http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=ROS20VSK and it's got the best on board dust collection I have seen, on an 5in ROS.

I have two of the 5" Bosch ROS's. I like them a lot.

Bill

I got the Ridgid 5" based on reviews, which specifically mentioned its dust collection. I think it's great.

Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch are a few that come to mind. Any recommendations?
    The DeWalt is crazy stupid expensive to replace the pad on.
    Other than that, I love mine.

BTW - Tyler Tool has an excellent price on DeWalt right now.
    I stuck three in my shopping cart to see what they ring up as & the total is $124.00 & since it's over $99.00, shipping is free.

The replacement pads are about $15.
    For the older ones they are.
    DeWalt must have dropped the price on them in the last couple of years.
    Last time I looked thy were ~ $25.00

The pads for the newer ones appear to be back up at a somewhat ridiculous price.
    Tool Barn lists them for ~ $22.00.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-11-2013 at 8:31 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I have a friend that has the Bosch http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=ROS20VSK and it's got the best on board dust collection I have seen, on an 5in ROS.
    I have that Bosch and would completely agree. Plus it is easy on the hands for being an ROS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Geibe View Post
    I have two of the 5" Bosch ROS's. I like them a lot.

Bill
    Ditto but, unfortunately they are the discontinued 1295's. Glad I bought two ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have a Milwaukee 6021 5" VS, 8 hole. Might be different from David's because both small and large shop vac hosed fit right on it. DC is pretty decent with the bag, and really good with the shop vac. I like it so much I sold my Bosch ROS.

Rick Potter
    I have the 6021-21 and two Rigid and one Craftsman shop vacs. The Rigids have a 2" (ish) hose and a smaller one, but not so small as the smaller Shop Vacs and household canister vacs have (1-1/4"?). The large Rigid hose is too large and the small one fits the opening but it isn't even close to a snug fit. I tried it anyway with the small Rigid. The suction from the vacuum was enough to keep the hose in place as long as it was running and the DC was great. Have yet to try the Craftsman vac.

I have a DeWalt 5" ROS but prefer my Porter Cable 5" #390
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214