Thread: Finishing the inside of box: order of operations?

Finishing the inside of box: order of operations?

Hi,

I am starting some quick box builds (small decorative boxes for Xmas gifts). The boxes will be made with splined miters, the bottoms and lids will be 1/4" panels trapped in groves on all four sides by the sides of the box. I want to line the bottom and lid on the inside with fabric. I planned on lining the panels before gluing them in, so that it was clean and tight to the edges, but I am afraid that if I then go to apply a finish (probably wipe on poly, given my time constraints), it will get sucked up by the fabric and bleed into, looking bad.

Should I try to finish the inside of the box before gluing it up? Should I just try mask it off really well? Is there a better way?

Thanks
    Chris

Flocking looks nice, and is a very common way to do it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I thought about that, but I found some embossed felt that I wanted to use. That may be gilding the lily a bit, though.

-Chris

I prefinish the insides of my boxes. A MUCH neater operation.
    If the insides of the miters need a touch up once assembled a wipe of finish with a Q-tip does it.
    For fabric, I've used both felt and leather. It is often a bit easier to glue the fabric to the base before assembly. In that case you will have to play with the width of the grooves the base fits into.

Most of the time I use keyed miters of a contrasting wood rather than splined miters. A very narrow key slot cut on the bandsaw looks best. Table saw made keys are too large. The only chore then is cutting an equally narrow key to fit the slot.
    Last edited by Paul Symchych; 12-09-2013 at 5:48 PM.

I've always built the box then put the material around a thin piece of paperboard such as heavy file folder or something of that nature. I made so it would fit tightly in the box then just pressed it in with double sided tape. That way I could always replace or repair it. Have never had a problem.

Greg

I prefinish the inside before glue up. Works well. I also use dovetail splined miters.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]