Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New LV Saws Are Here!

Tom my hand is the same size as yours.I will buy the saws but don't expect reshaping the handle with files/rasps will be a satisfactory fix.I will probably try to glue on an extra bit of wood and then reshape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harkrader View Post
    The handle on the rip saw does not fit the saw very well. There's a gap of about 3/16" or so on the bottom. It's very noticeable and really detracts from the appearance of the saw. It also looks like sawdust could get in there easily and cause the post to rust potentially.
    Both of mine look like your crosscut, and I think gap is there by design. Your rip saw looks off to me.

Well, since I started the size of the handle questioning I guess I should chime in now that my saw has arrived. My hand measures right at 4 inches and the saw is comfortable to me right out of the box . It is very close to digging in at the bottom but it just fits without rubbing. Sorry for the bad pic. It actually is not that easy to take a pic of your hand holding a saw properly with the other hand ....

saw.jpg
    Last edited by john davey; 12-22-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Wow It fits perfectly!It seems that LV used your hand to shape the handle

I`m going to order these saws, I have large hands but I don't have a problem reshaping the handle to fit. I`ll probably stain and or finish them differently too, so I can tell the difference between rip and crosscut at a glance.

So who else is pulling the trigger on these? I'm intrigued by those two brass nuts on the spine and Rob is not letting on.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    So who else is pulling the trigger on these? I'm intrigued by those two brass nuts on the spine and Rob is not letting on.
    Somewhere he said that in previous versions the saw plate was wavy with a full contact spine. The end of the plate is loose in the spine and the screws clamp down on the plate

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Mine arrived last week. Handle size is fine for me. Did a rip cut on a 16-inch piece of red oak and the cut was nice and straight. I'm done buying saws though. Need to make a till to house the ones I now have.

9. john, you're a woodworker. You could make your own tote.

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    I am a little concerned with he handle. Honestly if this set came out last year I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. But I ran out of time to wait and bought a LN 16"rip saw and am very happy with it. I need a cc version and was going to pull the trigger on the tapered cc LN has. I went to one of their shows and it has a tiny handle on it that hurt my hand. So I passed on it and now am wondering about the size of this one. I guess I could always buy it and if it doesn't feel right I can sell it after the intro and probably get most of my money back. I wish we had a LV near us like Marko did. Yes I would be broke but what the hell .

Marko, could you do me a favore and measure the handle for me? I would like to know the distance between the horns at the top and bottom. Thanks, John....

For owners of this saw that has had some time in the shop with them, What are your thoughts?
    Would you buy again?
    Save $$$ for a better saw?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

So guys, after a month of play, what's your opinion about these saws? Pro and cons?