Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I dislike the term "Neanderthal."

Blog Entries

I dislike the term "Neanderthal."

Why not "Traditional Woodworker" or even "Old School?" "Neanderthal" makes us sound like dinosaurs. I'm still a Youngblood; I just prefer to enjoy the handwork of woodworking as opposed to buzzing through and slinging sawdust.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 12-12-2013 at 9:21 PM.

I've never felt "put down" by the term "Neanderthal". The first time I heard it, I though it was kind of funny. Most of the people I know who work with hand tools wear the name with pride.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I prefer Cro Magnon.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

knuckle dragging neanderthal. I don't mind it and I'm youngish. Don't really know what it means though... anybody got a rule book?
    Last edited by Judson Green; 12-12-2013 at 8:46 PM.

Henceforth Malcolm is Neanderthal emeritus . Hope that helps.

I just turned 30 and I like the term...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Henceforth Malcolm is Neanderthal emeritus . Hope that helps.
    I prefer to use my full title: "The Great and Knowledgeable Neanderthal Emeritus" (of course followed by all members shouting in unison, "All Hail the King.")

Why put so much power in a word on its own without the context of it's use?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    Original post edited to remove the word "seriously," intended with some sarcasm. Don't take it entirely too seriously.

Patrick, I agree- Cro Magnon has a nice ring to it.

When I was a kid my Mom told me about a relative who as a young man received a bite on his face from a hog. For the rest of his life he was called Hog Face or Hog Jaw. Country folk. So, you never know how well off you are ....

My sig on another forum for many years has been: "Help stamp out galoot and neander in our time".

Interesting thoughts. The Neanderthal was actually capable of sharpening a spear as sharp as a modern day surgical scalpel. No wonder we are so obsessed with sharpening our plane irons. It's in our genes.

Neanderthals and dinosaurs did NOT coexist, the latter dying off about 65 million years before Neanderthals ever existed.

Although I am still a super noob(just bought my first set of chisels) I strive to reach the point at which I can be considered a Neanderthal and at the age of 22 I need more than just 15 minutes to save money on my car insurance.

Malcolm, I don't know if you know the history, but the use of "Neanderthal" to describe hand tool afficianados dates back to the early days of rec.woodworking on usenet. It was originally intended to be a disparaging term, but those of us who like hand tools picked it up as a badge of honor.