Thread: DP Mobile Base question...

DP Mobile Base question...

Have a Porter Cable 15" drill press and am looking for a good mobile base for it. The DP base is something like 11" x 19". Any suggestions on which one to get? Could make one of course but not on the project list right now. Some I have looked at seem to need a plywood base in order to support the DP as they only collapse down to 12"....any comments appreciated!

A base is really quick to make. A sheet of plywood approximately the size of the drill press base. Four casters. Bolt the casters to the plywood. Done. Or if you feel really fancy, also screw the base to the plywood. Twenty minutes tops.

I like the locking casters Woodcraft sells. http://www.woodcraft.com/category/3/...20Casters.aspx The ones with the red wheels.

If you do a Google Search on Drill Press Mobile Base you can find a lot if ideas.

The thing is you have to keep the base as close to the floor as you can so the base will have to be a drop type base, in that the wheels needed to hold the DP will have to be large enough to hold it and they will have to be raised up so the base is close to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

I like the locking casters Woodcraft sells. http://www.woodcraft.com/category/3/...20Casters.aspx The ones with the red wheels.
    Or you can get the red ones from Home Depot that they started selling about 6 months ago. I've used them on two mobile bases and they work great plus they are half the cost. http://t.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-...5EB/203672250/
    War Eagle!

I bought an HTC mobile base for my Griz table saw when I got it. I was really happy with it so bought an adjustable base for my Buffalo Forge drill press. It has served me well and I have no regrets. I believe it was the HTC 2000 and cost me about 60 bucks.

My DP was put on top of a furniture dolly when I first brought it in the shop and, several years later, is still on top of that dolly. Keep in mind that DPs are very tippy and careers that are actually under the base reduce the footprint. If you can move the casters outboard of the base your DP will be more stable.

Blog Entries
    I have a smooth Pergo floor, so I just used a piece of 1-1/8" particle board lagged to the CI DP base with a felt slider at each corner. Very sturdy and it only slides when I want it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Merry Christmas to all...!I have searched online as Bill suggests but was looking for some personal comments on commercial bases from the folks in here. Some good ideas above...still haven't decided as focus has been elsewhere lately! Can you say grandkids for Christmas???? They seem to take over a bit!

I have a rather large and heavy drill press and tried a few different bases, including the HTC versions. Found the best one was the one from Jet 708118, JMB-UMB. The price proved competitive with the other bases as well. Here is a picture. Works much better than the others I tried.

DSCN1054.jpg

Hal, I have the same drill press (PCB660DP) and bought a mobile base from Harbor Freight for it. No plywood required, but you do have to supply some 2x2 to assemble the base. The good thing is that you can make it as snug as you like.

I've rolled that drill press from one end of my shop to the other many times and it hasn't tipped over once. As long as you are careful and roll it at a slow pace, the base will work just fine and is pretty solid.

You can find it HERE on their website. For $40 it's a good buy. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought one for my 14" bandsaw, too.