Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary dust collection options

Secondary dust collection options

I have an Oneida dust collection system in my shop basement hooked up (through the floor) to all the big machines. For cleaning up from other work, I use a normal Shop Vac roll-around machine that I hate. (Noisy, filter clogs easily, fittings come off, lousy casters, flaky switch, etc.) I'm looking for an alternative for this secondary dust collection. My shop is about 25'x20'. I've got 3 options so far:

1. Rockler dust right system
    I actually bought the longest hose and fittings to see how easy it would be to drag the hose around and store it. I took it out of the box and after 5 minutes of experimentation I decided that the hose was too big, too heavy, and a pain to store. (If they made the same system with a smaller diameter hose, that might work better.) I'm returning the hose this weekend.

2. You can get 1 1/2" pool vacuum hoses and reels for storing them. I would hook this up to the shop vac just like the dust right system but the smaller hose and storage system would make it much more manageable. Not sure how easy it would be connect this to the dust collector or get attachments but I'm confident I can figure it out.

3. Upgrade my shop vac. I originally decided to just get Makita's pricey 4710 HEPA vacuum but decided that using my central dust collector was a better solution. I'm now
    wondering if this is actually a better and more flexible solution. This was the top reviewed vacuum in a recent fine homebuilding.

Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

Put a drop for a 2.5" hose in the duct in the center of the shop. If your duct isn't on the ceiling I guess this would not work.

Turns out the reels for storing pool vacuum hoses are for storage only. I hoped they were like garden hose reels which you hook up to a faucet. For pools, it looks like you remove the hose from the reel, hook it up, use it, disconnect from the vacuum then wind it back up. This makes the solution the least convenient of all. If anyone has a better solution for storing 25' of permanently connected hose, please let me know.

I made a mobile base for my shop vac and added a dust deputy to it that dumps into a 5 gallon bucket. It works really well and my filter never clogs up.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...hop-vacuum.pdf

I would use some sort of light hoist. Make a bar or rack you can loop the hose over, then hoist it up overhead. Something like s hinged frame mounted up in the rafters with a gas spring or a pulley arrangement to hold it up there when not in use would work too.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 12-13-2013 at 12:11 PM.

My shop cleanup Vac is a Fein Turbo 1, fairly quiet, rolls nicely and I picked up the optional 'barrel filter' to go along with a filter bag. Just take out the bag and dispose, the filter stays clean for a long while.

I have the Dust Right system hooked up to my Oneida V3000.
    I can't remember if it's an option or not, but there's a mounting bracket with magnets on the spine and a metal plate for the base. When I need to store the hose after use, I leave the cyclone running , then put the opening of the Dust Right handle onto the metal plate to close off the air flow. That's usually enough to suck in all the hose , close enough to vertical that a little pushing engages the magnets and holds the whole thing sitting neatly stored. Works pretty well IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    I'm looking for an alternative for this secondary dust collection. My shop is about 25'x20'.
    I have a 12amp Ridgid that I run through a Dust Deputy. I have about 35 feet of 2-1/2" clear flex hose on it. The vac stays put about halfway along one wall and there is a hook to hang the loosely coiled hose on. I can reach almost everywhere in my 20 x 30 shop. The far corners I can't reach are occupied by my DC in one corner and a cut-off bin in another. When I want to get there to "deep clean" a few times a year I just add on a short section of hose. There is no form of mobile vac that would navigate my shop without a high degree of inconvenience. Just make your hose long enough to easily reach the areas you are after without a tug-of-war and use a vac powerful enough to drive that much hose.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. I use my 2 Hp HF DC for shop clean up.

A preseparator like the dust deputy or cv mini or thien separator is a very good thing for maintaining airflow.

If you are an oneida kinda spender, get a dust cobra and gloat back here with pix.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a 12amp Ridgid that I run through a Dust Deputy. I have about 35 feet of 2-1/2" clear flex hose on it. The vac stays put about halfway along one wall and there is a hook to hang the loosely coiled hose on. I can reach almost everywhere in my 20 x 30 shop. The far corners I can't reach are occupied by my DC in one corner and a cut-off bin in another. When I want to get there to "deep clean" a few times a year I just add on a short section of hose. There is no form of mobile vac that would navigate my shop without a high degree of inconvenience. Just make your hose long enough to easily reach the areas you are after without a tug-of-war and use a vac powerful enough to drive that much hose.

2 questions:

1. Where did you get the 35' of hose?
    2. Can you post a picture of the stored "loosely coiled" hose? I'd like to get an idea of
    the space required.

Thanks

I too have a Rigid hooked up to a Dust Deputy on a mobile platform I made up. Here is a photo. The plywood has a caster under it for ease of mobility. Attached thumbnail photo was unintentional and I couldn't remove it during editing.

IMG_0445.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Morris; 12-14-2013 at 4:35 AM. Reason: Better photo

13. The turbo I follows you around like a dog who wants to get fed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    2 questions:

1. Where did you get the 35' of hose?
    2. Can you post a picture of the stored "loosely coiled" hose? I'd like to get an idea of
    the space required.

Thanks
    The 50 feet of hose came from a 'the Woodworking Shows' a few years back. Peachtree item# 369 I believe. The balance of the hose was used for other tasks around the shop; router table fence, small BS DC, etc. The longer section of hose has been drug all over my shop since 2008 (at least that's the earliest date on a picture I could find) and shows little signs of wear; pretty tough stuff without being heavy like the super collapsible style hose.

Long Vac Hose.jpg

The hose is hanging from a plywood arm that is 36" off the floor. This hangs directly in front of the vac and so adds about 10" of depth to the footprint. I have a plan to lose the original vac barrel and reduce the footprint now that I have the Dust Deputy. I empty the DD 5 gal. bucket all year long and still only get about a cup of spoil in the vac's barrel. Its a waste of space at this point.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-14-2013 at 5:33 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you want the best shop vac that money can buy its the Dust Cobra IMO. Its available as a wall mount vac or with wheels which is what I have, I use a short hose on mine these days and roll it around my shop as necessary.