Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to drink the green koolaid

I want to drink the green koolaid

Is there any way to fight off this urge?

yeah--send all your money to me....
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

The Domino is a unique tool. But you'll find that most of the other tools are duplicated by other manufacturers. You may decide that a DeWalt (for example) tool does everything you need the tool to do at a significantly lower cost.

The main advantage, in my mind, to Festool, is the dust collection. If you take your tools to a customer's location that dust collection can be very valuable - it can save you a lot of time in set up and clean up. But for shop work, you may decide that the initial cost of another tool is significant savings.

Summing up, make sure you're buying for a good reason, whichever way you go.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    buy a little of it. Tell yourself you can always get 80% of your price back. Once you have it, some of it will make you think "was that $200-$300 finish sander really better than the one that it replaced at $70?"

I've had some of those thoughts. I don't own much of the green stuff, just a couple of indulgences, but they do seem to me (as a hand tooler) to be just that. I couldn't point to anything I've made with them and say that it's better than it would've been with made in china tools like hitachi or MIM tools like dewalt, etc.

You know, the best way to get rid of an itch is to scratch it....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The Domino is a unique tool.
    That's what I've been thinking about for a while, and the dinero is actually in place,

That's what I've been thinking about for a while, and the dinero is actually in place,
    I have a Domino and can highly recommend it.

I bought one of the Festool drills and found that my DeWalt worked just as well for my usage. I sold the Festool.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-07-2014 at 4:29 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The main advantage, in my mind, to Festool, is the dust collection.
    If you drink the koolaid and buy multiple pieces some of the integration can be nice. For instance I have a TS75 and an OF1400eq and the fact that they share rails (and the OF1400 on rails works really well for somethings like shelf pin holes with the indexing rails is sweeeeet .. if you're doing a bunch of shelved cabinets). There are some other "works well together" features I'm still figuring out (and many I probably never will).

Some of the other bits I do question how much better they are... For instance I can't see myself ever buying a kapex. The ROS is nice enough alright, but better than a $70 one? dunno.. it did come in that nifty case though.

Whether all of that is worth the price delta its hard to say. I think if I was doing a lot of onsite work for customers being able to roll up with a nice tidy stack of tools and have decent dust collection would be worth a fair bit. Working in my own garage, its a harder sell.

I have a Domino and can highly recommend it.

I bought one of the Festool drills and found that my DeWalt worked just as well for my usage. I sold the Festool.

Mike
    Mike ,
    I got a Domino & a TS55REQ track saw both are great tools the costs were well worth what the tools will do .
    , but for what the other Festool's offer vs the price , I'll pass . . . . .
    my Delta Miter saw is very accurate has been for Years !
    , I got 4 Dewalt screw/impact drivers for what one Festool driver costs ,
    Dewalt big driver , small driver , impact driver, angle driver , battery packs that don't break the bank & will hold a charge just as long or longer
    as for that MFT table , I'll make my own ,
    routers ? my various models of Porter Cable's work just as well at a fraction of the cost .
    I can't believe those plastic boxes cost over $70.oo , I've seen some guys who have a whole wall of them .
    To each his own I guess
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Blog Entries
    Step away from the kool aid...

Sipping the koolaid is fine, don't gulp it. I have the larger track saw and one of the sanders. Both work great. Other tools don't interest me as much. Some folks really like the Domino and Kapex though.

I read a bit further on an it became clear this was about festools not a flash back to the 60s
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Why would you want to fight it off?

If you want to do it, go ahead, enjoy yourself.

The only green tool I own is a CT26 vacuum, it's great, Festool gave me it as a free replacement for the Midi, which were all recalled in Canada.

I don't remember seeing a lot of posts from people who regretted buying Festool, so go ahead and enjoy your money, you worked for it and it doesn't do anything for you when you're dead.............Rod.

I dank deep a few years ago- Kapex, MFT, track saw, jigsaw, Domino, vac, router and a few sanders. I've since sold the Domino (wasn't using it enough) MFT (wasn't impressed with it) and the Kapex (bought a Makita slider and a few other toys with the proceeds), but kept the rest. The tracksaw is great for the builtins I do (no need for a huge table saw and a 16' long area to break down sheets), and the dust collection saves having to clean up a mess. The router is very good, and again, avoids a mess. Their sanders are very smooth, which is a good thing when you're using them for a long period of time, and it's nice to be able to sand in a customer's house without dust.

The overall system is really geared toward onsite use where dust is a major factor, but was also useful when I was working in an attached garage that I shared with all of my wife's stuff. Yeah, their stuff is pricey, but if the benefits they offer fill a need for you, go for it.

Never mind, misunderstood the term "green"

Mike
    Last edited by mike holden; 01-08-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: irrelevence of intial response
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

This and that and this other thing.

Just saved you 500 bucks. Split it with me?