Thread: Chair-leg Slimlines

Chair-leg Slimlines

A customer wanted 4 chrome pens made from some old chair parts that had sentimental value for him and his family members. These are the results. Made from a chair leg. Wood appears to be Maple.

IMG_7395_4_6_Detail.jpg IMG_7389_8_90_Detail.jpgIMG_7386_5_7_Detail.jpgIMG_7383_2_4_Detail.jpgIMG_7380_79_1_Detail.jpg

I provided him 4 color printouts of this with his pens.
    ChairPens1.jpg
    Last edited by James Combs; 12-14-2013 at 8:35 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

2. Pretty nice that you could salvage those chair legs to make keepsakes for them...........nicely done, JD!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Pretty nice that you could salvage those chair legs to make keepsakes for them...........nicely done, JD!
    Thanks Roger, yes even the cross spindle came in handy. The chair parts the customer gave me consisted of at least 3 species of wood. The leg was probably White Ash not Maple, a poster on another forum thought so at least, the spindle appears to be Hickory, and another piece(not sure what chair component it was is Oak, so I had lots of choices but I thought the leg with the holes filled with the Hickory spindle made the best statement.

Also when I get a special order such as something with sentimental value I always try to give the customer something extra such as the fabrication sequence to go along with the project. I do this even for such things as furniture repairs.

"The best things in life are not things."

4. From what I understand about chair making, it is a fairly common practice for different parts of the chair to be made from different woods........not surprising that you have that variety, James..........they are nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good job! I really like the use of the spindle to fill the holes. I'm sure the customer will love those pens.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Great nice job of keeping memories alive JD, recycling above and beyond!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots