Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is/are most skillful in bench chisels?

Who is/are most skillful in bench chisels?

My votes go to Paul Sellers and Frank Klausz.

Simon

Not quite sure what the question is, or the reasoning, but I guess I'd have to pick someone like Mary May or Chris Pye - while often times they're using a curved gouge, I've seen them both use straight edged tools, and with the limited experience I have in the matter, I feel like their type of work is much skill-intense than chopping the waste from dovetails or paring a tenon.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

David Charlesworth get's my vote. After watching his video I was in awe at his results even on simple things.

Probably someone whose name we don't know because they are full time woodworkers and don't make videos or teach classes. Please don't take this as snarky. I love the great content a lot of these folks offer, but the "best" are probably guys like George and Warren, who made/make the their living at the craft and the craft alone.....eeekk, I'm starting to sound like Dave Weaver

As far as woodworkers who are known in modern mainstream media. I like Joshua's answer.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-14-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Walk back from the light Chris. Don't go changing your avatar or you'll find yourself in dire straights - and with a lot more sharpening stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Probably someone whose name we don't know because they are full time woodworkers and don't make videos or teach classes. Please don't take this as snarky. I love the great content a lot of these folks offer, but the "best" are probably guys like George and Warren, who made/make the their living at the craft and the craft alone.....eeekk, I'm starting to sound like Dave Weaver

As far as woodworkers who are known in modern mainstream media. I like Joshua's answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Walk back from the light Chris. Don't go changing your avatar or you'll find yourself in dire straights - and with a lot more sharpening stones.
    Nah...It's just a PA thing...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Haha I can think of worse things. It may be too late for me...I've been shaving with a straight for over a year now. Though I'll never change avatar to something that isn't cat related.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

If you want a champion why not follow MMA, F1 or Dancing with the Stars? Using a chisel is a craftsman's skill and it is not an end it is a means only. It is also just one of a myriad of skills required to be a woodworker who can take a design, choose the material and create the object.

My vote is goes to whoever can't saw straight.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks Hilton, Now I'm going to have to get a set of chisels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    My vote is goes to whoever can't saw straight.
    Best answer!

Chris's answer is a good one!

Probably better than anyone working today were the old pattern-makers; they pulled off some pretty crafty stuff in tight spots. I don't know if many folks still do that type of work that way?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Stay away from the stones, they're laced with something!
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-15-2013 at 11:01 AM.

My vote is for Ron Brese... check out the video on his website showing him shaping the closed tote on one of his planes... just one of the many skills needed to make these woodworking wonders.

Blog Entries
    Not sure who posted it up, but the Japanese cabinet maker cutting hidden dovetails on the shop floor using his foot as a holdfast, he was pretty damned impressive with a chisel.

There is a competition held every four years, Un des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France, which includes many woodworking categories. I assume many of the winners would be included in the best users of a chisel.