Thread: This Way

This Way

This Way ------- a cairn box

this was turned around a piece of buckeye burl that i was fortunate to buy at north carolina symposium from a wood vendor.......thanks, i was so excitdd that i am not sure which wood vendor it was
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll claim ignorance on this one Charlie...what are the turned parts and what was done by non-turned means?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

what are the turned parts and what was done by non-turned means?
    Jim, i will try to describe my process, excuse my photos , i need to take a lesson from Roger i think

the first layer is 5 pieces of 1/2 plywood glued together, cut to shape with bandsaw, turned a tendon with Jerry's gizmo, then turn the bottom of cup, then jam chuck the cup and turn the tendon off and do 2 circles

use dremel tool with rotary chisel from rotarychisel.com to make recess in the sides, use bandsaw to cut V in front, use stone to smooth out the recess in side

finish with salad bowl finish

next
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 12-16-2013 at 8:28 PM.

next i turn the 2nd layer, buck eye burl

same process, use Jerry's gizzmo and turn tendon, turn the cup on top, jam chuck, turn recess to fit over cup on 1st layer

finish with danish oil
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 12-16-2013 at 9:29 PM.

next

use Jerry's gizmo to turn tendon, turn recess to fit over buckeye burl cup, jam chuck and turn away basswood leaving the tendon, sand with jacobs chuck with sanding attachment (80 grit) to look like the bottom of bowl, use zig pen to make design......sometime i use other paints
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 12-16-2013 at 10:46 PM.

next

found an odd piece of cutoff boxelder burl (not much burl in it but some rays) cut on bandsaw, sanded, used fiber reactive dye from Dharma, oxblood red to color

will most likely add more danish oil coats and sand with 1200 grit to buckeye burl in coming days

questions?????????

Entirely too stiff and orderly for my tastes. Great!

Interesting , I was thinking maybe it had some hollow spaces for hiding stuff in .. still , maybe some art gallery would display ?
    John 3:16

thanks Robert for your comment

Paul, yes the cup is the hollow space with the lid from the next piece, yes it is a box, is hollow space, thanks for looking

i may display at artisan center, may do the piedmont arts expression show, may take utah symposium, i have a lot of want tos for this spring, hope some of them are achievable

May good fortune smile on you and the cairn !! When you do another one, please post ! !
    John 3:16