Thread: Combining turning and joinery

Combining turning and joinery

This piece was commissioned for a collection of wood art . There were no design parameters other than a jewelry box , Aussie timbers and the budget .

Being a more masculine piece , I wanted to use darker timbers and after seeing how well the combination of timbers on the THC project worked , Blackbean and Jarrah was used .

Starting with the base , I turned a foot onto the underside of the base. This was done off center so that the front had a different profile to the rear. After turning, the "feet" were formed , with the rear section being reduced to give the box a little "attitude" .

The inside of the base was then curved to follow the external shape and the ends were mitred. The sides were also turned and mitred to match the lower joint. The tops were rabbeted to form tenons which fit into the jarrah burl top . This was also turned , then relieved on the underside of the front and rear. The turned rear panel fits into the slotted base and sides with a tongue .

The drawer fronts were cut , then paper jointed and turned. The jarrah pulls , also turned , were then shaped to form a pinch. Each pair of pulls diminishes in size from base to top and are set to follow the grain in the drawer fronts .

The drawer design precludes the use of conventional dovetails , so I came up with the idea of using sliding DT's , from top to bottom. The drawer internals are jarrah with bases of blackbean fitted into slots . The lower drawer base is curved to follow the contour. The jarrah dividers are flush with the top of each drawer and each compartment is flocked individually.

This is how it turned out .

Dave
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-10-2005 at 6:54 AM. Reason: Removed signature - contained a link to poster's web site which violates TOS

Without a doubt, a real work of art! Beautiful job, Dave. Great pictures!

I would hate to guess the number of hours you must have put into this.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Wonderful work. Seems that you have found a niche -- a unique method of constructing with many possibilities. Keep going. Soon it will be the "Shaw" style, if it is not already.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Wow! Very cool David. A delightful work of art.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Really great design and workmanship! The ideas are well thought out and extemely well executed. The wood is also exceptional!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

David - A most excellent piece. Looks great!

Steve

David, your work is truely amazing! I hope that you are able to keep it up!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Dave,

Thanks for sharing your work. Given my own facination with wood grain its nice to see a piece that balances shape and grain so well. The little knobs remind me of my guitar tuning knobs.

Bravo!

KP

David, that is incredibly unique! I really love the way you used turning to solve the support "problem" at the base in a non-standard way. It really works with this piece, especially since everything "flows" more than it would with square joinery. Wonderful!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For some reason I suddenly feel inadequate Very nice work and creative.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

What a gorgeous piece! True art. What are its dimensions?
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

very nice piece. great color and contrast. the form really flows and has good proportions. excellent job

lou