Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft drill chuck, any good?

Woodcraft drill chuck, any good?

I've recently Jet 1221VS lathe and want to get a drill chuck to use in it.
    Woodcraft have one on sale.
    Do you think is it any good? Should I look for something else?

Edit: The chuck has capacity 1/2", I though 5/8" could more useful, like that one.
    Last edited by Yuri Sadykov; 12-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.

That one would be fine, but you know you can buy a Jacob's Chuck at Harbor freight for about $10-15 and there isn't any major difference in functionality.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have that one and I like it.

I bought a chuck very similar from Grizzly a several years ago. The taper was too long for the Jet 1014 that I had. It wouldn't go all of the way in unless the tailstock was extended some. I fixed that by cutting it off a bit. Then I had a few incidents when making pens. The bits started slipping and getting stuck in the blanks. I just don't feel that I could get the chuck as tight as a keyed Jacobs chuck, although I have never had the same problem in a hand drill. I have been using the HF models ever since then. With the coupons I have bought a couple cheaper than the one you listed and have left them dedicated to the few drill bit sizes that I use.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

I would go with your second one (5/8") and drawbar style, not tang. JMO
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Campbell KS View Post
    I bought a chuck very similar from Grizzly a several years ago. The taper was too long for the Jet 1014 that I had. It wouldn't go all of the way in unless the tailstock was extended some. I fixed that by cutting it off a bit.
    That mode is a feature on some lathes. It allows the chuck to self-eject by fully retracting the tailstock. There is no need for a knockout bar.

Steve

Yuri, I have a PSI keyless chuck. I'm not sure if it this particular chuck, or indicative of keyless chucks in general, but my larger forstner bits will spin in the chuck. Not so with my keyed chuck. I would recommend that whatever chuck you get, it have the ability to use a drawbar, to allow turning in the headstock without having tailstock support. The drawbar will hold the Morse taper in the headstock, and prevent it from vibrating out.

JT

Guys,
    thank you for the tips. Decided to go with keyed chuck from HF. Will see how it goes and get a feel for what I need. And at that price ...

Dave (at D-Way) was a machinist in a previous life. I'm trying to recall the name of the vendor he recently recommended and my mind is blank.

But their Jacobs chuck had the smoothest motion I have ever felt and it could go all the way closed (i.e. it could take any bit, no matter how small). Dave says it has held up very well (he uses one to hold the wheels to clean and deburr the tools he sells)

It was $50 plus shipping with a MT#2

Since we want one, I should contact him and ask the name of the firm (I do recall they don't have a web-site)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

10. I've had one of the Wood River keyless chucks for a past few years and have enjoyed it. I've never experience any slippage with the chuck and once it broke in, the scrolling was very smooth.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Key less , the only way to go ! I am retired machinist ( Marine ) and got tired of chasing the keys all around the shop and now with hands not working as good as yesteryear , I like the keyless
    John 3:16

We have the Woodcraft keyless as well as the PSI keyless mentioned earlier. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM32KL.html Like them both just fine. The Woodcraft is slightly longer and heavier, which I think I prefer.

David

I spent about an hour on the phone with the guy that Ralph was talking about. He does go to some of the Symposiums. He does not have a web sits. His drill chuck is one designed for machine shops. It sounds like it is as far above most other drill chucks as the CBN wheels are above standard wheels. Some times, you do get what you pay for. I plan on getting one or two in the future.

robo hippy

I'd highly suggest a threaded-end Morse taper for the chuck, so you can add a drawbar to keep it from coming out during lathe operation. Drawbars are easy to make using allthread. I even added a piece of aluminum tubing over mine to keep the threads from scraping the bore in both the headstock and tailstock, although this is probably overkill on my part. You'll probably need to add a washer so that the nut used to tighten seats OK in the headstock or tailstock. You can use a simple hex nut or a small star knob to improve grip for thightening and removal.

My keyless chuck, which I think is the Wood River, does slip on occasion. I wish I'd purchased a keyed chuck.