Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Fan(s) in the workshop?

Ceiling Fan(s) in the workshop?

I recently moved to a new house, and am re-establishing my shop in the 2-car garage. Similar to my last shop, it has really nice high ceilings (about 12'). I didn't have a ceiling fan in my last shop but was thinking it would be nice to help circulate the air, especially in the winter when the heat tends to rise and it's much colder toward the floor. The only downside I can think of is potentially having the blades hit a long board that I might be carrying through the shop. It would be great to hear from others that have ceiling fans in their shop as to pros and cons.

Tom, I put them in two shops ago. They helped circulate the air, but I tended to leave them off because they messed with the light. Any moving thing will make a moving shadow or reflection, and those certainly did. They were a white metal with fluorescent strips. Kind of had the strobe light effect.

Blog Entries
    I use a couple of fans like this in my shop:

http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perfor...d_sim_sbs_hi_4

They're helpful so long as it's not too hot in the shop. They don't do anything to bring warm air down though.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 12-18-2013 at 4:17 PM.

I have one in my shop but its a commercial grade one (now). The ugly black and brass Hunter I salvaged from the house wasn't real effective but the commercial one is nice when its warm out. I suppose running it would help with heating too to better mix the air but I've never tried. Mine is from Grainger, purchased from a closeout place on ebay when you used to be able to actually save money doing that.

Blog Entries
    I have a metal commercial type ceiling fan in my shop salvaged from a remodeling job I was associated with. I have it on a variable speed fan control and it works great in warm weather to keep you cool while you work. Since my ceiling is pretty low, the fan can also stir up sawdust if I run it on high so don't run it if you want to do finishing. I think I raise a board up into it once so far. It makes a really loud noise and puts a healthy ding in the board.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Tom

My shop has 12' ceilings, is 30x40'. I heat w/ a wood burner (snow state). I put a fan in after 2 years w/o one - found it helps mix the air - reduces the cold spots.

Jim

Can't be without them here in TX. I have one 52" unit ("Harbor-something", from Home Depot...) in the ceiling and the a couple of the portable steel cage-type ones that I move around as needed.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    I have one in my shop and I have enjoyed having it. I run it on low in the winter to circulate some heat down, and on high during hot weather.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

When doing wood machining operations, unless you're collecting 100% of the wood dust created at the source with a Dust Collector, I would be hesitant to install a ceiling fan. I feel it would move a lot of fines throughout your shop constantly. Even with the installation of an Air cleaner to help catch the fines floating around, I feel a ceiling fan would conflict with the proper air flow required by an Air Cleaner, hence minimizing it's effect. If you're just doing hand tool work, go for it. Just remember to change blade direction for winter and summer.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 12-20-2013 at 6:40 PM.

A ceiling fan in the Winter should pull air up to distribute hot air off the ceiling. How this affects room air as it relates to an air cleaner I don't know, but the room air will still circulate so I don't see it being a problem. I run a ceiling fan all the time, as well as an air scrubber/cleaner. I think the fan actually helps get fines in motion to the air cleaner.

Rick,
    That's an interesting concept. I typically run the Air Cleaner on a timer after I'm finished working to minimize breathing in fines on their way upward to the AC unit. This is mounted about 18" below the ceiling in the middle of longest wall to gain the best air flow pattern.

Do you capture an abnormal amount of fines with Ceiling Fan on? I would like to see a Dylos meter reading on this verses with CF turned off to get an idea on the effect of multi-directional air flow.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    A ceiling fan in the Winter should pull air up to distribute hot air off the ceiling. How this affects room air as it relates to an air cleaner I don't know, but the room air will still circulate so I don't see it being a problem. I run a ceiling fan all the time, as well as an air scrubber/cleaner. I think the fan actually helps get fines in motion to the air cleaner.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 12-20-2013 at 11:23 PM.

My two fans work great in the summer, letting me cut way back on the A/C in the summer and stir up the heated air in the summer. On high, they'll blow big shavings off the floor but don't seem to touch the fine layer sitting on machines, so I thing the hazard is minimal at worst.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    That was my thinking. I bought a box-style fan that pivots so I can aim it straight up. It evens out the heat nicely.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I installed a oscillating floor stand fan hanging from the high ceiling in my earlier shop. It helped keep the air circulating in a circular motion, same as the AC/heat and air cleaner when operating. Air movement greatly helps comfort in the shop. Make sure to securely fasten the column so that it does not fall out.

We have one of those classic GE window fans from the '50's.It is hung from ceiling in a very discreet location.Plugged into receptacle mounted next to it....wired to switch on wall next to big ceiling mount,air cleaner.We use the "racetrack" style of air scrubbing in this section of shop.It's more about controlling the direction of flow to maximize the cleaner.The GE fan runs more often than cleaner....on low,it blows a nice gentle breeze right at TS(where you stand).

We had the air cleaner for quite a few years before adding the GE.It has made a noticeable difference,especially on the "upwind" side of it.