Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why justify it?

Why justify it?

Question for you students of Freud, the doctor, not the blade. Why do we seek justification or approval to buy tools? I bet over half the threads are based on that concept. Isn't just wanting something enough of a reason to try it? I'm as guilty as the next guy of it, but I think there are several here who are not. How about you? Why? Did we do this before the interweb?

My theory is that we want approval of our decisions because it makes us feel good, but as a theory, it has holes.

If I ask the one that matters, I would probably get a "No" but if it just shows up in the shop - well that the way it goes. Unless it is a huge expenditure - that's a bit different.

On purpose, I refuse to count shoes!

It all works out.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

What I'm usually looking for is someone who has worked with the tool, and ideally, also worked with other brands, so that I can get a user's opinion of the tool. Also, I'd want to know if there are any problems with the tool. Maybe something that makes it difficult to use, supplies that are expensive, or reliability of the tool.

I'm certainly not looking for affirmation of a decision I've made. I'm looking for help in making a decision.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think our justification search is because we are always balancing needs with a finite budget (however large or small) and weighing a strong want against all of the other wants and needs. If I get some approval, I can shift the balance in favor of the wanted tool.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Can't speak for any one else, but my wife never objects to my tool purchase (or any other purchases) because she knows I won't buy something I cannot afford. I, in return, never buy anything I can't afford. Probably half the approval threads on the creek are tongue in cheek.

On the other hand, it's fun seeing others getting new tools, and I really enjoy tool gloats. It's even more fun to be able to post one.

As far as your theory, I would suggest that everyone needs approval. Before the net, we likely got it from friends and family. With the creek, we find a group of people with some common interests. The fact that there are pro's as well as hobbyists here is just an added bonus.

Rick Potter

Approval for anything comes form childhood and the upbringing received. As children approval is sought as part of a process of affirmation of ourselves as thinking human beings. When approval his withheld for our actions the guilt cycle is strong enough for us make amends for those actions. But its normal action to seek approval. Thats as far as I dare to go on the subject of Freudian pyschology!

Not a big Freud fan here....the Dr,not the blade.

But,am somewhat a student of the brain.Wifeypoo is a child development guru.As such we have a never ending supply of books,journels,and all manner of reading material pertaining to not only the brain but general behavior patterns.Being a lifelong voracious reader,which is 95% non-fiction....it was a natural to end up reading her stuff.Understand(or think I do) the O.P. question but don't really know how to respond.

Two books,well one is technically a "paper" comes to mind.One is "The futile pursuit of happiness" by a cpl PHD's from Harvard,MIT,or somesuch.The other is a decision,process book that came out a cpl years ago(too lazy to go look in library for title).With just enough research to get it on the book shelves,but that's not the point.It does have some very good ideas on what they use as a 4 step program for making decisions.I learned "right much" from both the above.....a quick googling will turn them up.

Neither of the above however,get into the very salient point in these discussions on how equip is dealt with on/in a business model.It's like the plumber not talking to the electrician meaning;There are financial interests to be met when it comes to decisions.......they aren't always a matter of the heart or what you "think" may be at issue.

An example would be buying a highly prized/valuable pce of XYZ equip. for the express reason of reselling after use......vs.....buying a cheaper version.If the pce was going to be used for X amt of time and then resold,the former may make more sense.But it's just as plausible that we're going to run the poor thing into the ground,swiss cheese drilling it's top/cabinet to suit our purposes,then scrap the whole thing for tax reasons?There are more reasons to look at any particular pce of equip than most realize.With money being only one aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    My theory is that we want approval of our decisions because it makes us feel good, but as a theory, it has holes.
    It's a rhetorical question. Look, you don't ask your wife if you should have another drink. You ask your drinking buddies. "What do you think? One more?". Yah, sure....one more! That's not a real question. OF COURSE they're going to say yes. You're just being polite and sociable...announcing your intentions so Bob stops nursing the beer and has a second to figure out what he wants.

Same thing here. No one really cares, but we want to be sociable, and CLEARLY we're not going to ask the wife, or any of our friends...because they might tell their wives, and it'll eventually get back to your wife. Who you gonna call? Your tool collecting buddies, that's who!

That's my theory.

I think the very existence of a question begs another;
    is this something I need, and intend to use, or is it a Man Toy?

I'm trying to pare down the toys, and keep the tools.
    Tools are things I actively use.

We've all been to Estate sales where the family is trying to unload a treasure trove of useless trinkets.
    Those asking the OP's question likely see the arc of their lives ending up at a similar tag sale.

Typically my request for approval comes from several things mostly revolving around $$$.
    1. having a limited budget, i need to ensure that the money spent will be put towards something which will be useful
    2. Want to check with others to ensure that the money spent on that tool is the best option. nothing sucks more than finally deciding to spend the money on something to find out I could have gotten a much better product for a similar cost.
    3. With a VERY limited shop space, where am I going to put that tool? what will have to go into the backyard shed to make room? is there an option that is smaller?

My wife knows I over analyze all this so she doesn't give me any grief on those rare occasions when i do make a purchase.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Blog Entries
    I have always had the attitude that I do not "need" a new tool, I "want" it. I have very few needs, food, shelter, and a little money to get those things. Everything else is a want.
    Now, there is nothing wrong with acquiring stuff because I want it. I don't need to justify anything I do by saying I need it, it is enough to just say I want it.
    Shopping for and buying a new tool is and should be an enjoyable experience. For part of that enjoyment is learning about it and getting feedback from others who have experience with it. To me this is not a justification process, but rather a learning process so that I can make an informed decision.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I think the very existence of a question begs another;
    is this something I need, and intend to use, or is it a Man Toy?

I'm trying to pare down the toys, and keep the tools.
    Tools are things I actively use.

We've all been to Estate sales where the family is trying to unload a treasure trove of useless trinkets.
    Those asking the OP's question likely see the arc of their lives ending up at a similar tag sale.
    Do not kid yourself, they are ALL man toys, but that's ok. We should enjoy ourselves as we travel though life. For me, it's about what brings me happiness, and not what I "need".
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Agree with Rick. It's bragging in a humble way.

I want to justify a purchase because I don't have an unlimited source of income. Right now I'd like to buy a MiniMax CU410 Elite S but can't at the present time because I have higher priorities for my disposable income. As for approval I ask for none. Once I've decided on a tool the only permission needed is mine. I control the finances therefore I decide whether X fits into the budget or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    As for approval I ask for none. Once I've decided on a tool the only permission needed is mine. I control the finances therefore I decide whether X fits into the budget or not.
    So, you are a single man I would presume, or possibly soon to be divorced?
    Either that, or you are very certain this thread will not be read by the current wife.

Plus, in this context, approval and permission are not the same thing.
    Larry J Browning