Thread: Amana or Whiteside pattern bit?

Question Amana or Whiteside pattern bit?

Working on a project today I found I needed a pattern bit. It is between the two bits below. 3/4" diameter by 1-1/4" length and 1/2" shank I was leaning towards the Amana because it has the shear style blade (and I could use my prime for 2 day shipping since I need it quicker).

Any thoughts? I know both brands are on the higher side of the quality scale, but will the shear make much difference?

http://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-453...keywords=45360
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A17DCYO7QD7QRE

check out the latest edition of fwwing - they have an article on pattern bits - not for manufacturers but for cutting styles.
    jerry
    jerry

Check out Lee Valley's offerings. Taking a big flush trim cut in one pass can be tricky. I think the shear straight bit offers a theoretical advantage, but in my experience it won't overcome issues that come up when removing too much depth at a pass. If you're routing sheet goods it doesn't matter much, but if you're routing parts that mix straight and end grain, the transitions can be tearout prone. Template guide bushings allow you to make the cut in steps with a straight or spiral cutter. The drawback is you have to make the template undersized which can sometimes not be so workable with thin parts.

I can only speak from experience on the whiteside as i have that bit. It's served me well for a long time and i've used it a lot. Still good and sharp. I love their bits. You can tell the quality when putting it beside others. Now I do own amana bits as well. I have some of Lonnie Bird's signature bits from amana that are really nice. I could see potential benefits from an shear cut in some woods. However, I have several different sizes of pattern bits and would say get 1 of each and in two diff sizes.

I like Amana as well, but pattern bits I use Whiteside. They cut well and last longer for me. I use their 1 1/4" diameter unless I have a curve that is a smaller radius than that. The larger bit lasts longer and gives a better cut.

Larry

Blog Entries
    I too have Amana and Whiteside bits. both are high quality but, Whiteside has grown to be my favorite for many reasons which may or may not apply here. Instead I'll focus on the bit choice; I prefer a top and bottom bearing bit for pattern routing when the cutting height will allow. Since the bits you show re both within capacity I would lean toward a Whiteside 2715 or similar. This allows you to use the upper or lower bit against the template so you can always route 'downhill' and avoid tearout.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Buy American where warranted.

On quality, take your pick, either will do well. I have used both brands, little noticable difference. So it may simply come down to cost? Or you may value other factors, like made in USA, or customer service from a local vendor, etc. The shear feature is nice and highly valuable IMO for 3/4" and smaller diameter pattern or flush trim bits in more difficult species, less critical on the larger diameter bits.

Dittos on Whiteside. You cant go wrong. Also starting to pick up some Infinity bits, and I like them too.

Can't go wrong with Whiteside!