Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer Combo

Jointer/Planer Combo

I'm planning or ordering a jointer planer combo machine to replace a 6" jointer and a 12" "lunchbox" planer. Both machines are good and have served well, but the 6" jointer is a limitation that requires workarounds. We're preparing to do some renovations on the house that will require some wide woodwork, like 8" baseboards, etc. If I go this route, I'd want a helical cutter on the machine, since I have one on my jointer now, so I'm spoiled. My question would be a comparison between the available 12" Grizzly combo and a something comparable in a European machine. Since I haven't used or had experience with a European machine, I'd like to ask for some input from folks who might have had the chance to either own or use both types.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Tom, I have the Baileigh Industrial JP-1250 http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/i...planer-jp-1250 and I couldn't be happier with it. I think it's the best bang for the buck in a combo machine. The fence could be better designed for the chang over but it's not that bad. I have had this machine for about 3 months now and have run many BF through it. It does a great job, without any snipe and with the spiral head it's fairly quiet. Baileigh is new to the Woodworking end but have been making metal working machinery for many years.

Baileigh is a sponsor here give Shane a call or e-mail. Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Shane is great to work with and can answer all your questions.

Earl

I purchased a used Minimax FS35 and am about to order the Shelix head for it. My previous Jet had the Shelix head and it worked great. I am not opposed to having a machine made in any country of origin, but lately I have purchased tools primarily from Europe. After using/owning many different machines, the European ones seem better made with less problems.

My choice would be a Hammer A3-31 with the silent power spiral head. I have the previous version with a Byrd head and its awesome. The newer model is even better.

~mark

I have research this for more than a year looking at the, Hammer, Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, and, recently the Baileigh to replace a 6" jointer and a lunch box planer. Jet was high on my list, however, several have mentioned the Jet motor getting hot if used for extended periods. The Grizzly eats too many Amps, while the folks at Baileigh gave me a few people to contact regarding the 1250. Interestingly, two of the three would not recommend the 1250 due to fence issues. Baileigh's lower cost and it's 20amp requirement almost swayed me to their machine (this is the same machine as the Grizzly except or the smaller motor and a better - 74 insert- Warrior helical head), but when push came to shove I went with Hammer. I currently own a Hammer K3W sliding table saw and never have regretted the purchase. Although the A331 is twice the cost of the Grizzly and Baileigh, I know what I will be getting with Hammer, including great customer service. The bottom line is quality, tight machining tolerances, single jointed bed, and the best cutter head in the business. I was thinking long term, never having to buy again. I'm confident based on my experience with Hammer that there will be no regrets. I'm sure the other manufacturers have fine machines, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Coincidentally, I was just on the Hammer website earlier today. The A3-31 looks to be a great machine. They offer smaller and larger models, but the 310mm width (12") of the A3-31 seems ideal for my needs. I have a DeWalt DW735 planer (~13" width) that I've been very happy with, but I only have a 6" jointer, and always felt this was a big mismatch. I'm glad to hear positive reviews of the Hammer products. I just bought a Festool track saw, and can attest to the positive vibes of buying European tools.

More expensive? Yes. But I am at a point in my life that I will pay more for a superior product, and not concern myself with whether it really makes sense to spend the extra money. As such, I steer clear of Harbor Freight, except to buy nitrile gloves.

I also had the Grizzly J/P with spiral carbide head. I was the very first one in the country to get that machine. Initially I was very happy. At the end I sold it as it became obvious to me why it costs so much less than the European machines. Currently I have a Minimax 5 function combo machine. I will say that the J/P on this machine is far superior to the Grizzly. Of course costs a lot more too. As Dominic said, you get what you pay for. Sometimes there are exceptions to this as my profession is sales and marketing, so I know the power strong sales push and marketing. But, I would say that in general this holds true in the woodworking tool world. One other thing to consider, if you ever sell it, resale value on European machinery tends to be a lot higher.

Been very happy with my FS41 Elite the few days I've been at the shop and able to use it this year. Would highly recommend it if it's within your budget.

Great transaction with MiniMax as well.

The kind where tables pivot up individually is trickier to return to alignment when switching from planer to jointer. The type where the tables lift up as one unit don't have this issue. There is some variation in how low the planer table must be lowered for the jointer dust hood to have room, so there is a certain amount of cranking to consider when looking at models.

I think it is important to consider the small design quirks built into the Grizzly and Baileigh machines as well. You have to remove the fence For the change over. That seems like a weird thing to be troubled by. Let's lets face it, I am buying a combo unit due to my space restrictions and I don't want to worry about finding a place to put the fence every time I switch over (hate putting things on the floor). Second, the table adjustment is just too cumbersome. The need to loosen a nut to adjust the table height and then retighten that nut to lock the table would be a source of frustration, a real rhythm breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    The kind where tables pivot up individually is trickier to return to alignment when switching from planer to jointer. The type where the tables lift up as one unit don't have this issue. There is some variation in how low the planer table must be lowered for the jointer dust hood to have room, so there is a certain amount of cranking to consider when looking at models.
    Not universally true. I've had my Rojek 16" J/P (2 pc. table) since 2004 and I've had to adjust the tables exactly twice. Once when I brought it into the shop and once when I put a Byrd head on it.

Not needing to remove the fence and both jointer beds moving together were the primary reasons I chose the Jet JJP-12.

I have the Mini Max FS35 and very happy it. However I did keep my lunchbox planer Dewalt 735 and use it when just doing one board or so.

Minimax

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Our 12" jointer/planer has been the second best-selling machine in the lineup for about the last ten years. I would say they are quite popular.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I bought one of these machines and in a small shop it was a giant heart! The build is straight forward and very robust. I would get a Tersa head and be done with it ( I use very highly figured woods). Sharp Tersas work well and are pretty inexpensive.

When I first turned the J/P on and I place my hand on the infeed table I couldn't stop smiling, all that cast iron and a great build made for a vibe free machine. I sold this machine and got a much larger... Minimax!

The slot mortising table is worth it too by the way.

15. You could always wait and watch the used market as well if your not in a big hurry. I found this Knapp 16" J/P at an auction and brought it home for $1600. You can get a lot of machine for your dollar in the used market.
    Attached Images Attached Images