Thread: Cleaning a cyclone filter

Cleaning a cyclone filter

Just searching for better ideas on how to clean the filter on my cyclone. It is a Oneida V system and the filter is about 40" tall and maybe a foot diameter. Usually i give it a bunch of gentle knocks around the outside while the bottom cap is installed. Then I pull the filter and bring it outside and us the air nozzle on the compressor to blow from the outside in. This creates a nice cloud of fine dust that usually gets carried away by the wind. But that method doesn't get all the dust off from the bottom of the pleats.

I'd like to keep the dust contained since the reason for the dust collector is to avoid the dust.

Could i use the festool vac with some kind of upholstery tool on the inside? It's Hepa so that would mean less dust in the air but then i might just be plugging up the Festool filter.

Does leaving a little bit of dust in the bottom of the pleats really effect performance that much? (i.e. maybe it doesn't need to be absolutely clean)

Just wondering if there is a better way. Maybe there isn't but thought i would ask.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Berrevoets; 12-20-2013 at 1:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

According to their directions, I usually give it a few gentle wacks, and then blow air from the outside in. Seems to keep the dust in and in the bottom cap

Bob

I clean my Oneida filter outside withe garden hose, does a great job and no clouds of dust.............Rod.

When I need to clean my Wynn filter stack (usually because I am an idiot and over-filled my dust bin) I put a vacuum hose in the bottom cleanout and blow compressed air from the outside in - I have a CV-mini on my festool vac and I can watch the dust swirl through the cyclone - I continue till I stop seeing dust picked up by the vacuum.

leaf blower, I works wonderfully, although your neighbors might not like it. Just keep it at a reasonable distance so as to not damage the filters.

How often do folks clean their cyclone filter? i have had mine for at least four years and only tapped it a few times to knock dust down into the pan. there is never more than a handful of dust in the pan.

Some cartridge filters can be washed, and some cannot. My current cyclone filter, an aftermarket one from Wynn, is spec'd as non-washable. My prior filter, apparently also a non-washable, clogged up completely when I washed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    How often do folks clean their cyclone filter? i have had mine for at least four years and only tapped it a few times to knock dust down into the pan. there is never more than a handful of dust in the pan.
    I clean mine about once per ten barrels of chips. I think there are big variables here. One is the material you're processing; sawing MDF will generate more fine dust for the filter than planing oak. Another is the cyclone design. A longer cone drops more dust into the bin than a shorter one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I clean my Oneida filter outside withe garden hose, does a great job and no clouds of dust.............Rod.
    Do you then let it dry for a certain time before using it again? I guess I never thought about using water.

I have the spunbond (non HEPA) filter with no wire cage around the outside. I couldn't find anything that said it was or wasn't washable. I guess I could always try and if it gets damaged I would have an excuse to buy the HEPA.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    leaf blower, I works wonderfully, although your neighbors might not like it. Just keep it at a reasonable distance so as to not damage the filters.
    Hadn't thought of the leaf blower. I use my leaf blower a few times a year to clean out the shop. I clean everything as well as I can first then open all the doors and fire up the backpack leaf blower. Works great to get dust from behind machines.

Mike

Mine's up in the ceiling of my clerestory, so it's a major PITA to take it down. I take the bottom tray off and vacuum off the inside with a small nozzle on my shop vac. The nozzle fits between the pleats of the filter. I do have to use two hoses and three straight sections of pipe to reach it, though.

Kirk

Blog Entries
    Mine has the disc-shaped brush that rides up and down as you pull cabled handles on the outside. I do this 2 or 3 times each time I empty the barrel. When I get rambunctious and get a mirror up in there for a closer inspection, things always look pretty clean. As long as I can clearly see the weave of the material and it appears clean, I'm satisfied. I understand the desire to get the cake out of the deepest parts of the "V" in the filter but, I've learned to let that go as, for me, the benefit doesn't outweigh the effort and potential damage to the filter ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    Do you then let it dry for a certain time before using it again? I guess I never thought about using water.

I have the spunbond (non HEPA) filter with no wire cage around the outside. I couldn't find anything that said it was or wasn't washable. I guess I could always try and if it gets damaged I would have an excuse to buy the HEPA.
    I have Wynn's 100% spun bond cartridge filter. It is washable, I think the wet burst strength is 300 PSI. Wynn also sells a spun bond/paper blend. That is not washable.

I clean my Oneida cyclone filter with a high-pressure wand at the self-serve car wash. I wash down between the pleats and never through the filter medium. It gets all that caked-on sawdust off. The filter is spun-poly or something and the water doesn't hurt it at all. Oneida even recommends using water to clean it. About every 5th drum full it goes on a trip to the car wash.

The filter has to completely dry before use, though, as the moisture plugs the openings.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln