Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner looking to buy first hand plane

Beginner looking to buy first hand plane

Hello,

First post here on these forums, greetings.

I'm a beginner looking to take up woodworking as a hobby. Some of my projects that I'm planning on is a farmhouse style table, simple coffee tables, and side tables. Also I would like to give gifts to people out of wood, like cutting boards, serving trays, small stools for toddlers, etc.

I am told that Owl lumber in Chicagoland area can provide me with face planed and glue ready rips of lumber, so I can still possibly start projects but still learn hand planing techniques.

I would like to learn how to hand plane though because I think it will be a nice way to just spend free time, preparing lumber for my projects and feeling like I really put something together from scratch.

I would like opinions on a starter plane that can accomplish ($40-60) (emphasis on CAN, I don't need the best tool for each type of job yet, I would like one that is serviceable at all my planned projects until I feel like it is worthwhile enough to begin investing in a collection) planing and edge jointing wood for table tops, coffee tables, side tables, cutting boards, etc.

Something that has already been tuned up so all I have to learn is planing technique and sharpening technique.

Tools I own that pertain to woodworking

7-1/4" Circular saw
    5" random orbit sander
    3/8" and 1/2" drills

I'll be buying clamps, a router, and probably just build a super simple sawhorse bench table to get me started. But handplanes seem to be something I don't feel comfortable doing my own research on and would like some expert opinions based on my intended use and beginning budget.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Welcome to the Creek. When buying a plane, you need to consider how you'll hone the blade, and that the blade will need to be honed fairly often. With a minimal budget, I'd look at flea market finds. A good, serviceable Bailey #4 (Smoothing plane) can be found for $20-$40 pretty easily. A block plane may be a more versatile "first" plane for your work, and a good used one can usually be had for $20-$30. I'd also research grinding and honing and decide what method best suits your wallet and style. Depending where you are you may be able to find someone on the Creek that can help you get more acquainted with hand-tools, planes and sharpening methods in person.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 12-20-2013 at 4:47 PM.

Thanks for your input.

Oh, right I completely forgot about how I would be keeping the blade sharp.

I think my father or grandfather has a bench grinder so I could provide them with the proper wheel, but I don't have a problem paying for a waterstone and some sandpaper, I don't believe those costs are too excessive.

You have to be very careful using a bench grinder on plane irons and chisels, etc. It's very easy to burn the edge and ruin the temper. A slow speed grinder and/or water wheel would be preffered.
    Do some research on 'Scary sharp'. This is a good way to get started for a relatively low starting investment.
    The Worksharp 3000 is also a good sharpening tool.

I have tried both of the above methods and now I am using diamond stones. The diamond stones cost a bit, but they should last for a good long while and they cut quickly. You can use them dry or with water as a lubricant. The DMT dou-sharp stones are a fair value since you get 2 different grits on each stone.

My first planes were a Stanley #5 jack plane and a Stanley low angle block plane. I paid around $20 to $30 for them on ebay (don't remember exactly). Togeather they can handle almost any woodworking job. Now I have many more planes. But I still have those two and use them frequently. For sharpening I have always used waterstones. I use 1000, 4000, and 8000 grit stones. I seldom use the 4000 grit stone. When sharpening the blades for the first time it is very important to flatten the back of the blade as part of the overall sharpening process. Once flattened you won't need to do this again. Each time you re sharpen the front (bevel) side of the blade give the back side a few passes with your finest stone. This removes the burr (caused by the sharpening process) and also continues to maintain the back flat. I don't know if you have heard of the infamous "slippery slope" but be carefull, it will snatch you up and there is no going back. Kinda like a powerfull drug addiction. Enjoy and welcome to the wonderfull world of transforming wood into objects of beauty.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Anthony,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location, but since you mentioned Chicagoland I imagine you are around there somewhere.

If you have some experience working with mechanical things buying from a flee market, Craig's list or yard sale should help you save money on a first hand plane.

In the Neanderthal Haven Announcements is a thread Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs with a few posts that may be very helpful for getting started, fixing up an old plane and also covering what you might want to look for when purchasing a used plane.

My thoughts would be to start with a #5. It is a little bit bigger than a #4. The #4 is better for final surface smoothing. The #5 is more of an all around "Jack of all trades."

Either would be fine starter planes.

As others say getting a sharpening set up is very important. Even with a bench grinder you will need to hone the blade a bit more after grinding.

For coarse work it is hard to beat 80 - 400 grit sand paper.

Often you can find old oil stones at the same places you will find old tools for sale. A lot of times they are not all that good. It takes a bit of knowledge about stones to know what you are getting.

In the middle of the country there is a Mid Western Hand Tool group or two that may have folks willing to offer a bit of mentoring to help get you going.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Rausch View Post
    I would like opinions on a starter plane that can accomplish ($40-60) (emphasis on CAN, I don't need the best tool for each type of job yet, I would like one that is serviceable at all my planned projects until I feel like it is worthwhile enough to begin investing in a collection) planing and edge jointing wood for table tops, coffee tables, side tables, cutting boards, etc.

Something that has already been tuned up so all I have to learn is planing technique and sharpening technique.
    If you're looking for already tuned up, a very good route is to watch the classifieds here, you'll often find listings from some very reputable sellers of tuned-up planes. (EDIT: originally I suggested Walt, but I see he's on hold for health reasons, sad.)

As a beginner, flea markets and yardsales and craigslist and ebay are all much more of a shot in the dark.

One last tip, besides looking at what size plane you want, also do some research into different vintages. A Bailey plane from 1935 is not the same thing as a one from 1975. Searches like "Bailey plane type" will get you going, here's one place to start.

Enjoy the process.
    Last edited by Matt Stiegler; 12-20-2013 at 7:43 PM.

It is out of your listed budget but if I were In your shoes, knowing what I know now, I would save up and get a WoodRiver #6. I have done the cleaned up old Stanley thing and while they are serviceable tools for sure, they are no comparison to the WoodRiver, which I also have. Each Stanley I have instantly makes me want a new blade in it and that puts you in the price range of a new WoodRiver after that. Just my opinion and all the best as you get started.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

If I were a young person just starting out, I'd try to find a woodworking club to get involved in.

Basic hand planes are a dime a dozen, and if you check craigslist, yardsales, etc, they will pop up. If you join a club, I guarantee that someone there will have something they would let go for less than big money. I'd look for a stanley block plane, and a no 4. Sharpening is super important, and you cant avoid it, so you might as well embrace the idea of learning to sharpen.

Also, I'd check out the lie Nielsen show in chicago, they will show you everyting you might want to know.
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/usa/chicago

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim Koepke, start with a number 5.

You realize that you are starting down a slippery slope.

You can never acquire too many planes. The next thing for you to discover are quality handsaws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I agree with Jim Koepke, start with a number 5.

You realize that you are starting down a slippery slope.

You can never acquire too many planes. The next thing for you to discover are quality handsaws.
    Well, what happens is you run out of room to put them away...

When it comes to hand saws learning to sharpen them is also a good thing.

+1 on the LN Tool Event if one is being held in Chicago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yep a vintage Stanley 4 or 5. Can't go too wrong there. I'd hunt at flea markets or craigslist. Or just ask around like your buddies and coworkers, you might be surprised.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 12-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks for this. I will most definitely attend this event, but I can't wait until April to buy my first plane!!!

I think I'll be browsing the classifieds for a No. 5. Seems to have the most traction. I won't be buying for a few weeks due to travel and finishing up a house project, but I wanted to start my research early.

Seems more now I need to focus on having a plan for sharpening in place. I think i'll avoid the bench grinder and focus on getting the proper stones.

Thanks so much for advice so far.

Welcome to the forum !

? ($40-60) ?
    ahhh ?
    that's the price of a plane blade.

One plane ?
    Buy this :
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/low-angle-bench-planes/low-angle-jack-plane/
    This IS an inexpensive hand plane.

These are "expensive" hand planes.
    http://www.marcouplanes.com/

Don't fart around with cheepy Joe stuff. You will thank yourself if you bite the bullet now.

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 12-20-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Another vote for a Stanley #5. Get on the list at Hyperkitten.com as he posts a variety of great tools aimed at the user (rather than collector) fairly often. My first plane was a Union #5 from Don W ( http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com ) and he usually has several good user planes as well as a great blog on restoring them. Both these offer a lot better chance of getting a great plane compared to one in the wild.