Thread: some more rolling pins

some more rolling pins

I finished another batch of rolling pins for a customer. IF some of you may remember the ones I made at Christmas time..
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=rolling+pins

These are really a lot of fun... Wood just has a way of speaking for itself.. Turning a round cylinder is not rocket science as they say but it does take some effort...
    I tried a little different variation on my handles too. The smooth gradually tappering handle is the new shape I tried I think I like it better than the other..
    Just somthing to show what I have been up too...
    I also went to a weekend class for making shaker boxes.. and I attach those pics too. These are even more fun than I thought they would be to make. Add one more addicting form of woodworking to my list. These are made from cherry. The tops and bottoms are a special piece of wood I had been saving.. very wild grain pattern. Allmost looks like flames..

Blessings all!
    Chris Pine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Christopher,
    I have some original Shaker boxes like those that i picked up from a small hometown museum that was closing, they have some old round spice boxes inside them. Didn't know what they were until i was browsing thru a Shaker book i have and saw them in the book. They are really neat but the wood is very dry and brittle, they didn't take very good care of them. I'm going to try and restore them somewhat if it's not to late. You Rolling Pens & boxes are awesome!

I really like the rolling pins! I am sure that they are well loved by the receipients. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to try one. Getting a straight round cylinder would be tricky
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Are the rolling pins one piece ?

Ed

no

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Snyder
    Are the rolling pins one piece ?

Ed
    No ther handles actually are free spinning ifrom the rest of the pin.. You an see an explanation on the link to the other post how this is done. The handle spins freeley over a dowel like pin that rins though it and has an end cap on it. This is glued into the large rolling pin cylinder.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop