Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me jointer

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Mike,

Have you seen the FWW article where an Oliver 12" jointer was refitted with a Shelix head? http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...orking-eletter

I have an old 15" jointer that I think is a WW Carey but a bit older than yours that I will clean up. It has a square block cutterhead and would be a good candidate for a ball bearing refit in conjunction with a newer cutter.

Yours looks to be in great shape, have fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

My current plan is to keep the babbits and find a modern cutter head that I can turn down and fit to the babbits. I really like the idea of keeping as much of the period mechanics as I can. Having a son that is a machinist and young man that works for me that is a tool and die maker from a previous life here in NW Ohio, I think I have a better than average chance of making it all work. Here is a pick of the pork chop style guard that the 2 ago previous owner was going to fit to it. The bracket with a shaft is in the picture with the motor. I might be able to make something out of all of that. If not I have found some pretty good options that will not take too much money or time to make. Having a couple of machinists "in the family" sure makes it a bit easier too.

Guard.jpgMotor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fleck View Post
    I do have a technique for getting the tables coplaner that works really well. I use piano wire. I will be happy to share that with you when you are ready for that.
    Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I was looking at the 4 wedges per table and wondering what the easiest way to get all eight aligned to get the tables coplanar. Mechanically the beds move extremely well and very smoothly, so that part will be quick. I plan to get all of the cosmetic work done quickly so I can spend the rest of the time getting it wired up and the fabrication work done. In the mean time, the search is on for a replacement head.

Mike,

Yes, the machinists will certainly be handy to have around as you restore it. I am envious as I have no such skill.

Here iare a couple of pics of the one I found for $100 but there is a lot of work ahead and no motor came with it though I have a couple of 5 HP sitting on the shelf. There was no makers mark on it but the hand wheels look like other Carey jointers I have seen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Erik,
    I've seen pics of one like that during my searches. I'll see if I can back track and find them. Judging by the driven pulley on the head it looks to be still set up for flat belt drive. It may have come from an old mill or similar shop....

Tha is really cool. Love the milkbone shaped foot... and you're right, the handwheel is a spot-on match for nearly every Carey machine I've seen pictured...
    Last edited by Mike Cozad; 12-22-2013 at 8:41 PM.

Mike,

The jointer came from an old farm along the Saint John River north of Fredericton, NB in Canada. There was an 18" saw as well but I was not looking for one of those.

The farm owner says that the place used to build very large sleds used to haul timber down to the river in the winter, as there was a forge there as well. I think that the jointer and saw were run off a hit and miss engine at one point ~ 1890s and later from a tractor PTO. I am going to try and clean it up as best I can and get it running as is, before considering any mods.

I will have the machinists at work give the head a good going-over to make certain that it is balanced and all of the bolts are sound and well bedded before I power up the jointer. They can spin it up on the lathe much faster than I will and hopefully it is sound. I will likely look at having some HSS blades ground for it if all else is working well.

I would appreciate any additional info that you can find on the jointer if you saw something similar. I didn't see anything like it on Vintage Machinery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik