Thread: fluorescent light source?

fluorescent light source?

Hello I am looking for a good source for some fluorescent lights. Looking for 8ft t-8. I have a local Lowes and Menards, but would be willing to shop online as well. I have some concern as to the quality of the lights sold at Menards. Where did any of you source your lights? Thanks!

I got all my T-8 fixtures from Home Depot. A couple of the ballasts hum a little, but it's not annoying enough to need to replace. If I'm using any tool at all, I don't hear it. Also the stereo covers it up pretty easily. The 8' units are actually 4' bulbs. I bought all my tubes online at businesslights.com I was able to get the higher CRI I wanted. They were also a lot less, even with shipping, than the comparable bulb I could find locally. Some have said that the fixtures from a true lighting store, even in the same brand, are better quality. It is likely that the ballasts are better, but in 7 years I have not had a reason to doubt my original decision.
    And if you haven't already, be sure to read Jack Lindsey's lighting article found as a sticky in the Workshop forum!! Invaluable information to use to design the lighting set up for your shop! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Relightdepot.com was my source for lighting.

Craig

I found greenlightingwholesale.com provides a well constructed fixture with quality ballasts for a great price. They were less expensive than box store and had name brand ballasts.

I just ordered 16 8 ft. fixtures with 4 bulbs each. I looked at this site first for pricing.

http://www.warehouse-lighting.com/wa...-strips/8-foot

After speaking with them, I could get a Chinese fixture 4 lamp for $41. Then they had the american made fixture for $62. The weight of the american unit is 50% greater so I decided to go American. Then I contacted my local lighting store and told them what I wanted. With lamps and freight, I paid the local store $2 more per fixture and they will deliver whenever I want them. At least I get to keep the money in town.

I retired from the construction business in '01, but I still have friends in the business. A buddy was doing a church addition, and also remodeled their classrooms. I had told him I would like to salvage some suspended ceiling when he got a remodel, so he called and told me what day they would be doing the demo. So I showed up with my flat trailer, and the electricians took out the lights, and I removed the ceilings in about 5 rooms. They asked if I would like the lights, so along with the grid and tiles, I brought home 13 troffer light fixtures. 4 bulb 4' fluorescents, complete with bulbs and covers. I did buy new ballasts on ebay, and have changed out a few to t 8, as they are all t 12, but they work, and I have used some as temp lights in finishing my new storage room. On commercial remodeling jobs, it is common practice to trash the suspended ceilings.

Like Jim did, I went the salvage route. Check craigslist. I got 20 2-bulb 4' fluorescent t8 lights for $10 each when a local business was demolished.