Thread: New Table saw top not flat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Table saw top not flat

I just bought a new table saw. I'll withhold the brand for now.

When I put the cast iron wings on and adjusted them with the cast iron top I couldn't get the left wing to match up with the main top. The main top is dished on the left side. The right side wing matches up pretty well but not the left wing. I went to the auto parts store to get a set of feeler gauges today so I could check how much the top is dished.

I can slip a 0.008 inch feeler gauge under the straight edge at the center. (Front to back) I don't have a good straight edge (starrett, etc) so I used a saw guide and a stabila level and flipped them over a few times to see if I would get any different measurements. Flipping them over and with two different straight edges and I ended up with the same results.

So my question is this: Is a top that is dished 0.008 inches on one side acceptable on a new saw? When I attached the left wing I split the difference. I don't know if it being out will really effect too much but it is somewhat annoying to spend that much money on a new cabinet saw and have it be out.

thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Berrevoets; 12-22-2013 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Wrong feeler gauge thickness