Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tooling up for M&T, DT, Workbench, Chisels, Sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Karst View Post
    +1 on the Sigma set (w/ Atoma #400 Diamond Plate), I went with the hard (per Stu's guidance) and am very satisfied!
    I've sent Stu a couple emails through his website and haven't received a reply yet. Hopefully he's just busy with Christmas and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Armstrong View Post
    I've sent Stu a couple emails through his website and haven't received a reply yet. Hopefully he's just busy with Christmas and all.
    I think it states on Stu's site that he is gone for the Christmas Holidays. Most likely that's the reason for his delayed response.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Karst View Post
    +1 on the Sigma set (w/ Atoma #400 Diamond Plate), I went with the hard (per Stu's guidance) and am very satisfied!

+1 what Randy said, I also bought the #120 and the #400 Sigma Power stones at the same time.
    Last edited by Greg Fletcher; 12-24-2013 at 8:22 PM. Reason: grammar - gheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    I think it states on Stu's site that he is gone for the Christmas Holidays. Most likely that's the reason for his delayed response.
    If I had read the fine print on the front page I would have seen that.
    Guess I'll be patiently waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fletcher View Post
    +1 what Randy said, I also bought the #120 and the #400 Sigma Power stones at the same time.
    If I were to do as you did and add these stones to the set it looks like it would eliminate the use of coarse sandpaper for major fixes with the 120 stone. Does the 400 bridge the gap between 120 and 1000?
    Since this is my first set of stones I'm thinking it would be wise to do this while I'm ordering from around the world.

I'm now very seriously looking at the Benchcrafted tail vise and crisscross hardware. The plans also.
    I hope it's not considered a cop-out to go with their plans. Would make life a lot easier.
    My other bench is a split-top Roubo using the BC plans and vises; no regrets.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Does the 400 bridge the gap between 120 and 1000?
    For me it does. I still flatten backs with sandpaper on granite but I've had some dubbing problems. I'm tempted to try other methods like David's loose diamonds on a steel plate or some other method.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    My other bench is a split-top Roubo using the BC plans and vises; no regrets.
    Today I received Schwarz workbench book and read through it.
    I just pulled the trigger on the BC hardware and plans for the Roubo. No turning back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fletcher View Post
    For me it does. I still flatten backs with sandpaper on granite but I've had some dubbing problems. I'm tempted to try other methods like David's loose diamonds on a steel plate or some other method.
    Not sure what dubbing means but I'll probably find out when learning to sharpen. I did a quick search on the forum and assume it means an edge is being knocked down when not wanted.

For M & T chisels, take a look at the Ray Iles Oval Bolster Mortise Chisels from TFWW. D-2 - tougher than nails and holds an edge almost forever.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Thanks for the recommendation^ on the Iles chisels. A lot of good comments on the forum about them.
    I don't take recommendations lightly so I will go with these. The look stout as all get out.
    Kinda seems these could be real collectors items one day. Probably wouldn't hurt to put together a whole set even if they weren't all used.

Blog Entries
    Those look pretty nice, it's interesting to see someone using D2.

Hello Cody,

I also built the BC split top from plans, even though I don't typically use plans. You will not be disappointed by the bench.

Good luck!

I started prepping the bench material today. Sometimes I really hate where I live. My local hardwood source carries nothing thicker than 4/4 most is already surfaced to 15-13/16. They can't even get 8/4 hard maple. Go figure.
    So looks like they saved me some money. I've got post oak I had milled that should make a fine workbench. I've read the threads on using oak. Some say it's too porous and has a tendency to splinter. It's my easiest alternative and with only the cost of milling and my hard work I should be very happy with it. I'll get more satisfaction knowing where the tree came from and what it looked like before it was a bench. It's close to 8/4 in thickness and has been air drying since 2005.

Thank you for everyone's help so far.
    With all the knowledge on the forum and some input on this thread I've been able to pick out some fine tools that should last me the rest of my life.
    I've got quite a few ordered and have put a sizeable dent in my bank acc.
    I was a carpenter for 15 yrs and never really worked with many traditional hand tools or used traditional joinery.
    I feel it's going to open up a whole new world for me.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I really hate where I live. My local hardwood source carries nothing thicker than 4/4
    What about southern yellow pine? My understanding is that is good bench material.

Oak will likely be a great bench material.

I know around here some of the best material and prices come from the local sawyers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)