Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connect (basicly) headphones to AV receiver and still use speakers

Blog Entries
    Apparently I have not communicated my problem very well. Let me try again.
    My AV receiver does have an audio out connector as well as a zone 2 output (which is the equivalent of the B speaker). The hearing aid device has the std RCA male connectors which will connect to either of the audio output ports and should work when a signal is being sent to the port. However, both of these output connections are analog and only work when the input device being played is analog as well. All of my input devices are digital and all connect to the receiver via an HDMI cable. The manual clearly states that the output ports will only work when the input source is analog. I think that someone suggested that maybe the reason for this has to do with copyright infringement because there is no quality loss with digital like there is with analog, and the primary purpose of the audio out ports is to be able to record music during playback.
    I am afraid I may be out of luck, if I want to use continue using this AV receiver. Someone has suggested that there my be a smartphone app that could help.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nope, totally got you, Larry. What you need is a short pigtail that has female RCA jacks on one end. The other end doesn't really matter because you would cut it off, strip the wires back, then plug those wires into your Zone 2 outputs, turn on both Zones 1 and 2, and adjust the volumes to appropriate levels.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Nope, totally got you, Larry. What you need is a short pigtail that has female RCA jacks on one end. The other end doesn't really matter because you would cut it off, strip the wires back, then plug those wires into your Zone 2 outputs, turn on both Zones 1 and 2, and adjust the volumes to appropriate levels.
    Jason,
    I do agree that that should work for all analog input devices, but I think you are missing the part about digital input not being sent to the zone 2 outputs.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Apparently I have not communicated my problem very well. Let me try again.
    My AV receiver does have an audio out connector as well as a zone 2 output (which is the equivalent of the B speaker). The hearing aid device has the std RCA male connectors which will connect to either of the audio output ports and should work when a signal is being sent to the port. However, both of these output connections are analog and only work when the input device being played is analog as well. All of my input devices are digital and all connect to the receiver via an HDMI cable. The manual clearly states that the output ports will only work when the input source is analog. I think that someone suggested that maybe the reason for this has to do with copyright infringement because there is no quality loss with digital like there is with analog, and the primary purpose of the audio out ports is to be able to record music during playback.
    I am afraid I may be out of luck, if I want to use continue using this AV receiver. Someone has suggested that there my be a smartphone app that could help.
    Larry, Plug the cord Jason suggested into the same connections as your single set of speakers. Start with the volume on low and slow turn up the volume until your wife can hear it through her device. Hopefully the volume through your speakers will be loud enough for you to hear as well. You want to connect her device in parallel with your single set of speakers. You should also be able to use any audio out jacks on your amplifier for her device that have the RCA type plugs. If it has RCA type plugs/jacks the output will be analog not digital. RCA jacks look like this. 3325.Jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Toslink?

Does your receiver have a optical audio out? If it does, you can use a device to covert the digital audio to analog.

(I also have a hearing problem but I use a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones when watching tv. My 'super duper' tv does not have any rca type jacks, so I use the converter)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    I just checked, my receiver does not have a digital audio out. I am very hesitant to attach an additional output device to my existing speakers, IIRC the manual warns against doing that because it could damage the receiver, plus, it has 5 speakers out plus the sub woofer, so which 2 of the 5 should I hook up to? I am afraid my receiver may not be up to doing this.
    Larry J Browning

Okay, what's the make and model of your receiver? (Or, does it have an impedance rating printed on the back? Does it have an impedance switch?)

What is the impedance rating of your main speakers currently connected to the Zone 1 outputs? (It's likely either 4 or 8 ohms, and should be printed on the back where the wires connect to the speakers.)
    Jason

Blog Entries
    Okay, what's the make and model of your receiver? (Or, does it have an impedance rating printed on the back? Does it have an impedance switch?)

What is the impedance rating of your main speakers currently connected to the Zone 1 outputs? (It's likely either 4 or 8 ohms, and should be printed on the back where the wires connect to the speakers.)
    It is a Yamaha RX-V671
    The manual states that the speaker impedance is set at the factory to 8-ohm but it can be set to 6-ohm min. In this case you can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers.
    The Front speakers are Cerwin-Vega RE-20 I have found conflicting information on them. They are either 8-ohm or 6-ohm, but most likely 8-ohm. It is going to be a real pain to look at the back of the speaker due to where they are installed in my cabinet, but I will pull one of them out if necessary.

BTW Jason, Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it very much!
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-26-2013 at 9:53 AM.
    Larry J Browning

Does your wife have the option of having the hearing aid streaming take place over Bluetooth?

Do you know what the impedance of your wife's transmission device is?
    Jason

Blog Entries
    Do you know what the impedance of your wife's transmission device is?
    Not yet, she is supposed to pick them up today.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    Does your wife have the option of having the hearing aid streaming take place over Bluetooth?
    She has not pickup her new hearing aids yet (hopefully today) but I know it does have the bluetooth feature. However, my receiver does not broadcast bluetooth. Plus, I do not know if her hearing aids will receive 2 bluetooth sources at the same time. The main reason she wanted bluetooth was to use it with her phone, so trust me, that will take priority with her.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    She has not pickup her new hearing aids yet (hopefully today) but I know it does have the bluetooth feature. However, my receiver does not broadcast bluetooth. Plus, I do not know if her hearing aids will receive 2 bluetooth sources at the same time. The main reason she wanted bluetooth was to use it with her phone, so trust me, that will take priority with her.
    there is a optional BT adapter that your Yamaha does support, but if she is already planning on using the phone with the BT, then i agree it may get too messy to try and manage two devices thru BT, its quirky enough with one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    there is a optional BT adapter that your Yamaha does support, but if she is already planning on using the phone with the BT, then i agree it may get too messy to try and manage two devices thru BT, its quirky enough with one
    Knowing nothing about the BT adaptor, but I would think that it would have to plug into one of the audio out ports on the back or the receiver and we are back to square one with the issue of none of the audio out ports supporting the hdmi/digital input ports.
    Larry J Browning

Larry, I lost most of my hearing this summer. I now have hearing aids, but they are not very satisfactory for the TV. If I watch a movie, I may actually understand 10% of the words, the rest are just sounds. For Christmas, my wife got me a Sony wireless headset to see if that is any better. It is very simple to set up. I plug the transmitter into the Audio Out in the back of the PVR, and that's it. The volume control for the headset is totally separate from the TV. In fact, the TV can be muted and the headset works. The sound, compared to the hearing aids, is so much improved that I am amazed. My hearing aids amplify all ambient sounds as well as the TV, but these head phones block out this interference. I don't use the hearing aids when I wear the head set, because they wouldn't work anyway.

I know this isn't directly in answer to your question, but your wife and I are in the same boat and I thought my experience might be helpful.