Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Connect (basicly) headphones to AV receiver and still use speakers

Blog Entries
    According to the pictures of your Yamaha RX-V671 receiver you have an audio out (red & White RCA center back in the photo) on the back of your receiver and also and extra speaker out put (two red & black wire push ins at the far right of photo) RX-V671.JPG. You should be able to connect to either of those places and get an analog out signal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    According to the pictures of your Yamaha RX-V671 receiver you have an audio out (red & White RCA center back in the photo) on the back of your receiver and also and extra speaker out put (two red & black wire push ins at the far right of photo) RX-V671.JPG. You should be able to connect to either of those places and get an analog out signal.
    That is exactly right but it only works for analog Inputs only. All my inputs are digital. So those output ports will not work.

Lee, from the manual:
    AV OUT jacks
    For outputting video/audio to a recording device (VCR, etc.)
    when an analog input (V-AUX, AV3~6 or AUDIO1~2) is
    selected (p.31).

The two additional speaker outputs are "presence" speakers (or Zone 2), which are a part of surround sound processing, and would probably not have the vocals and main sounds Larry's wife would want, if they worked at all. If they're set for Zone 2, they would only work with certain analog inputs (page 71 in the manual).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    sorry for not replying until now. We had to take an unexpected trip to Dallas yesterday, and we just got back.
    Ok, this is what I get for trying to figure out something before I actually get it. As it turns out she did not get the device I thought she was getting. She got the SurfLink Mobile and not the SurfLink Media. I thought she was getting both. We did not get the one with all the different input connections. It seems that the device she did get will work by picking up the sound via a microphone in the device. It is sensitive enough that it just needs to be placed in the room some what near the speakers. We just tried it by setting the device on top of the tv cabinet and she is thrilled with the sound. She says she can understand the dialog better than she has in many years. I think the combination her new hearing aids and the streaming booster device will work perfectly for her.
    I am just going to leave this one alone, and call it done! No, new hookup at all, and I can still enjoy the surround sound as usual.

I did learn a few things about the capabilities of my AV receiver and to make sure my next one has the ability to output the digital signal.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry, I'm glad it has all worked out for the best. I know that is all any of us really wanted. I'm going to do some research into the digital to analog output thing, but it may be a while. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.