Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need info on who makes the best biscuit jointer

Need info on who makes the best biscuit jointer

I am going to buy a biscuit jointer.need info on who makes one that is reliable

Lamello.....................Regards, Rod.

I love my DeWalt.

Comfortable to hold and operate with one hand if necessary and pretty good chip collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Lamello.....................Regards, Rod.
    Of course if you don't want to take out a loan to get one, The Porter-Cable 557 is a pretty good one. Others will tell you to not bother with a biscuit jointer and get a domino, but that will require a bigger loan than for the Lamello.

I would suggest you do some research here and on google. You will find a plethora of information and advice on biscuit jointers as well as alternatives.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Lamello is probably the best. I have the DeWalt and it works fine. The Porter Cable has the advantage of doing face frame biscuits.

But why do you want a biscuit joiner? I never used mine much, and after I got a Domino I really never use it. Probably should sell it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The Lamello is probably the best. I have the DeWalt and it works fine. The Porter Cable has the advantage of doing face frame biscuits.

But why do you want a biscuit joiner? I never used mine much, and after I got a Domino I really never use it. Probably should sell it.

Mike
    A good question Mike, I have the Porter Cable model, it's a real dust collector, sits on the shelf for years gathering dust.

I don't have a Domino (maybe I should add yet"?) as I still make M&T joints using a hollow chisel mortiser and a shaper.............Regards, Rod.

FWW did a comparison test not long ago, IIRC.

The Porter Cable is nice because it has the FF (small) biscuit size. I have heard good things about the Dewalt too.

I have the PC one, I have used it thousands of times. I think it's better than a domino in some applications.
    If I was you, I'd ask a forum if anyone has a biscuit cutter for sale. Lots of people don't like one, or claim they just collect dust. I've seen great deals for used ones.

I think it's a worthwhile tool to have.

Lamello is probably the most precise. Mafell makes a good one too. I have the Mafell dowel joiner and the fence is the same. For biscuits I use the Porter Cable but it's a trick to get the slots dead on where I want them and they come out a bit tilted sometimes. I have not used it a lot so it may be an operator issue in my case. A lot depends on the level of precision you need from a plate joiner. The Lamello joiners are pricey but you can count on Lamello precision.

10. I have (2) biscuit joiners and very rarely use either of them. I have slot cutting bits for my hand held router as well as a few different diameter bearings so I can rout different depth slots. I then make my own splines. This allows me to make the joint as tight or as loose as I want. I have found most biscuit joiner slots to be too sloppy even for the compressed biscuits. This experience is based on my two Porter Cables and a friends DeWalt. If I were going to buy one today, I would get the Lamello. My understanding is that is is much better than anything else out there. If Im not mistaken (and please correct me if I am) I think they invented the thing. Finally if you do decide on the Lamello be sure to bring your checkbook

I have the dewalt 982 that's the same that probably everyone else has. My sentiments are identical to Mike Henderson's more or less, I'm not sure why I haven't sold it.

It does what it's supposed to do and is pretty much point and shoot, though, and not too expensive.

I use the Porter Cable version and I do use it regularly. It has everything I want/need in a biscuit joiner and has proven reliable, I've had it over ten years anyway. If you want the best than I'd agree Lamello has a reputation for being the best. Really depends on what your going to do with it, but I don't agree that the Domino is a replacement for it. Not to mention the tenons for the Domino are significantly more expensive than biscuits., which is also a factor…..at least for someone who goes through a couple boxes of them a year

good luck,
    JeffD

I had the PC 557 and it was a good unit. Sold that when I bought my Domino. Sold the domino when I bought the PM 719T Mortiser. Don't see much need for Biscuit jointer. Only purpose they ever served IMO was to align boards on glue ups. They don't provide any real strenght. I do a panel glue-up now and just align and apply gentle pressure till its all good then a little pressure. With modern glues, thats all you need. Never had a joint fail. IMO the labor added to use em ain't worth it, but if you want one, PC, dewalt would be my pic. I think Norm alone was responsible for the market demand for them.

I have the PC. I've tried the Makita, it was nice, too.

Lots of people look down their noses at biscuit jointers. I use mine quite a bit, for things that would probably shock some members here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have found most biscuit joiner slots to be too sloppy even for the compressed biscuits.
    Try the Lamello biscuits. They are worth the extra $, and fit my Makita's slots a heck of a lot better than anything else I've tried. I did use mine recently, for a sash cutter, but it counts, right?