Thread: Where to find QSO in NE Ohio?

Where to find QSO in NE Ohio?

As a follow up to my earlier question, I'm also looking for a supplier for the QSO I need to build a couple end tables. The local Woodcraft carries some QSO, but it's on the expensive side and the selection is limited. Price is important to me but selection is even more important.

I'm in NE Ohio and I can pickup anything I'd need within a hour or two of home. Any local woodworker who can suggest a supplier that will do small deals?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

You are looking for Quarter Sawn White Oak, correct?

Yes, I should have been clearer. Quarter sawn white oak.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Did you try Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio?
    http://www.keimlumber.com/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Did you try Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio?
    http://www.keimlumber.com/
    Thanks Dave! I've never been to Keim Lumber or Charm, Ohio. I sent them a message asking about their oak stock. If a long drive but might be worth the trip.
    -- Dan Rode

Hartville Hardware has some in their lumber area.

Check out the Akron/Canton Craig's list under materials also.
    I've been looking for some Cherry locally and have seen a few listings for read and white oak.

Baird Brothers in Youngstown and Terry Lumber in Peninsula both sell S4S QSWO.
    Yes - you'll pay more per board ft for S4S - but - (@ least at Terry Lumber - I can't speak for Barid) there's little to no waste.
    Terry Lumber will allow you to go through what they have and pick out what matches up best in appearance and in size.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Thanks Dave! I've never been to Keim Lumber or Charm, Ohio. I sent them a message asking about their oak stock. If a long drive but might be worth the trip.
    If you go, save $$$$ for the tool department.

http://www.keimlumber.com/uploads/Ke...035-216-xl.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hartville Hardware has some in their lumber area.

Check out the Akron/Canton Craig's list under materials also.
    I've been looking for some Cherry locally and have seen a few listings for read and white oak.

Baird Brothers in Youngstown and Terry Lumber in Peninsula both sell S4S QSWO.
    Yes - you'll pay more per board ft for S4S - but - (@ least at Terry Lumber - I can't speak for Barid) there's little to no waste.
    Terry Lumber will allow you to go through what they have and pick out what matches up best in appearance and in size.
    Thanks Rich. Terry Lumber is really close to me and I won't buy lumber if I can pick and choose the pieces. I'm not sure why I never remember them.

I'll buy S2S and even S4S lumber if It's all I can find and if it fits the project. The positive is lower waste and the ease in selecting and matching boards. The down side is trying to flatten and square boards that have already been planed. The result is more expensive and thinner stock but maybe better matched stock as well. Getting a finished 7/8" from S4S is a challenge, tho.

I'll put them on my list.
    -- Dan Rode

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you go, save $$$$ for the tool department.

http://www.keimlumber.com/uploads/Ke...035-216-xl.jpg
    I'm not going near the tool department. I'll end up broke!
    -- Dan Rode

Yoder Lumber in Millersburg, not far from Keim in Charm. Yoder always has excellent stock. Much of their stock is skip planned and around 15/16" thick.

George

Thanks George. I'll check out Yoder if I make the trip to Charm.
    -- Dan Rode

12. Trumbull county hardwoods in Middlefield, Ohio
    nice people to do business with

Sam

Thought of another place, Doll Lumber Southington, Ohio. Ii is our near Mosquito Creek Reservoir I think that is Trumbull county.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Yoder Lumber in Millersburg, not far from Keim in Charm. Yoder always has excellent stock. Much of their stock is skip planned and around 15/16" thick.

George
    +1 on Yoder Lumber!