Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So what did you get for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by David M Anderson View Post
    My wife was really good to me, got a HSB Gage plane.
    Looks almost new.
    Attachment 278085Attachment 278084
    Way cool! New jersey comes to Tempe, huh? (I think those might've originated in vineland, NJ).

A Lee Valley gift card (of sorts). My wife printed a copy of the Lee Valley catalog cover and wrote $200 on it. So now I just need to figure out what to spend it on.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Ouchi 9 & 15 mm chisels. I had the 6 & 12. Green Woodworking by Drew Langsner, Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundqvist, Carving Swedish Woodenware DVD with Jogge Sundqvist. Working on appropriate Axe, Adze, froe and scoops for working green wood, which I have an abundant supply of. The son is interested too so we will share some items. He is more interested in whittling. I am more interested in using axes and adzes to work logs.

Elfed myself a Stanley #8. 1902 pat date, no frog adjuster. Needs cleaning and a bit of tuning but in good order. That's the only woodworking tool. Got a bitchin Cuisinart and a nice braising pan, bottle of fine scotch, calendar of the nephews.

Gave a few cutting boards, a few spoons and a nice little wall cabinet, I'm pretty pleased about.

5. oo! i got a ray iles mortise chisel!

and Langser's Green Woodworking book (which i've already finished) and Make a Joint Stool from a Tree.
    Last edited by Eric Erb; 12-26-2013 at 8:43 AM.

6. This was the first time in a very long time that my wife didn't give me any tools, but she did sew me a shop apron and some chisel rolls. My dad got me the large spokeshave kit from LV, which will get put to use as soon as our relocation is done and we're settled in. I'm thinking some kind of rosewood or ziricote for the handles

A pair of Gramercy Holdfasts - now I just need to build the bench they are intended to compliment

Well, I did get those those 3 things from my inlaws that said "purchased" on my wishlist. So with this apron I guess I'm now officially a walking veritas advertisement....nice though, I like all the pockets. I also like how much the Auriou rat tail looks like a Harry Potter wand...I've been casting spells all evening.

ForumRunner_20131226_204514.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-26-2013 at 9:00 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Well, I did get those those 3 things from my inlaws that said "purchased" on my wishlist. So with this apron I guess I'm now officially a walking veritas advertisement....nice though, I like all the pockets. I also like how much the Auriou rat tail looks like a Harry Potter wand...I've been casting spells all evening.

ForumRunner_20131226_204514.jpg
    Dumb, yet honestly legit question. . .why did you want an apron?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post

Dumb, yet honestly legit question. . .why did you want an apron?
    Not a dumb question at all. I've actually always thought shop aprons were pretty dumb...the kinda thing that hobbyists buy to feel like "real" woodworkers. BUT I always find myself wishing my shop hoodies have more pockets for pencils, squares, and block places, etc... So I stuck the apron on my list. I tend to put things on my list that I want but don't want bad enough to buy for myself.

Anyway, short answer..I wanted more pockets. I think it will actually be pretty nice to have. Several big pockets.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. I've actually always thought shop aprons were pretty dumb...the kinda thing that hobbyists buy to feel like "real" woodworkers. BUT I always find myself wishing my shop hoodies have more pockets for pencils, squares, and block places, etc... So I stuck the apron on my list. I tend to put things on my list that I want but don't want bad enough to buy for myself.

Anyway, short answer..I wanted more pockets. I think it will actually be pretty nice to have. Several big pockets.
    And several more places to catch wood chips.

In all seriousness, it makes a lot of sense. I always catch myself looking for a pencil that I know I had just a moment ago, and then usually looking for a square after I've found the pencil that's usually buried under a ton of shavings.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    And several more places to catch wood chips.

In all seriousness, it makes a lot of sense. I always catch myself looking for a pencil that I know I had just a moment ago, and then usually looking for a square after I've found the pencil that's usually buried under a ton of shavings.
    Haha, yeah I'm always loosing my pencils and squares, and or knocking them and other things off my bench. I just got to thinking though, what would have been even better than the apron would have been to have my MIL sew a bunch of pockets onto my favorite shop hoodie...that would be sweet.

How do you work in a hoodie, man? I usually end up shoeless on the concrete without my shirt on in shorts *still* sweating my butt off. I can't imagine being in a hoodie. . .I'd pass out from overheating!

Of course, I do ride a Harley 40 miles to work and 40 miles from work when it's < 20F out. . .
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Actually, in the winter I usually start with a hoodie (my basement tends to be a few degrees cooler than rest of the house) and then if I'm doing a lot of stock prep end up taking it off. But for layout and joinery and power tool work I tend to leave it on. Like you, I hate being too hot, and generally prefer cooler temps than most people, but I'm also lazy and try to avoid working to hard in the shop. Also, as we've discussed before, I'm not a hickory working masochist...walnut tends to make one break less of a sweat. Nonetheless, come summer I'll probably be going commando under the apron though (good luck erasing that image from your mind).
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-26-2013 at 11:02 PM.

I think an apron would drive me crazy, Id end up getting it stuck in the door or sawing it. I don't use this in woodworking(yet) but when I work on cars, specifically when rebuilding engines, I use a bandoleer that has been modified with the tubes closed off, pockets made and magnets stitched in so everything is on my chest. I keep everything on my chest aside from my torque wrench, and when I'm done all my sockets stay in it. Aside for that I'm too cool for an apron (jk) and the child in me says that there are funner options out there. I just want people to question what I am doing, "O no hes got a Guuuuu...... chisel?" :lol: