Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frist time in a long time…..Not a single wood working item for Christmas. Am I alone

Frist time in a long time…..Not a single wood working item for Christmas. Am I alone

Its happened, first time in a long time, not a single wood working related item for christmas. Zero, nada, zilch. Truth is I don't need anything, or what I do need I buy as I need it. But mostly, I've reached a place called done! Well, there is this medium Veritas shoulder plane that makes good practical sense for my work……but I've been dropping serious hints on that for years with no bite from the Mrs. And I feel good about reaching this place. But is this nirvana, or some low plateau from which I just can't see the next elevation? And am I alone here? I know this is a place to discuss the tools we got…..but what of the ones we didn't?

Nope. Not alone. I didn't get anything woodworking related either. Like you, there's nothing I need anyway.

I have a few more nice to haves on my list but I'm their as well for now. Nothing wood related for me either, since I try not to buy new it takea bit to get what I need or at least what I think I need LOL

Not only did I not get any WW tools for Christmas, I didn't get anything for Christmas! Was I THAT bad?!?!?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I usually don't get any WW items but this year was the opposite. Except for the usual sweet stuff (homemade cookies, fudge, candies) from mother-in-law, I loaded up this year. But that's another post after I get to play with them for awhile. Even WW books from my brother-in-law. Who would have believed that one?

Michael I wish you have a prosperous new year, that may or may not Count as a present
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Count me in. The closest I came was a cookie jar, intended to go in my shop, and two flannel shirts to wear while munching out there. I also have reached the point where I really don't NEED anything, but there are still some things I WANT, but that's another story.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Not only did I not get any WW tools for Christmas, I didn't get anything for Christmas! Was I THAT bad?!?!?
    You and me both, brother! I didn't even get so much as a text messaged "Merry Christmas" from anyone! Humbug!

Technically I am in the same boat with you, no woodworking stuff this year from other people. Got a t-shirt and padded flannel shirt. However, I purchased some Jet clamps when they were on sale on Cyber Monday and a bandsaw fence Christmas eve.

I didn't get any woodworking stuff either. Not complaining at all -- at the moment, I can't think of anything I particularly want or need. Also, with a promotion at work, I haven't had any significant shop time since May. Even now that I am on vacation, I am getting a little time and enjoying it, but honestly, I also want to be in the house with the family doing something together.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like some of you are not managing your wish lists well. I relieve my friends and loved ones of the burden of trying to guess what I might like by supplying them wish lists from a few of my favorite suppliers. Everyone always remarks on how thoughtful this is as they wouldn't know a B&D jigsaw from a Bosch. I include items for every budget and if all else fails, a gift card from the BORG can always come in handy for something. I figure any money I don't spend at the BORG is automatically ear-marked for any worthwhile items I may select elsewhere .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We're all likely at that age where buying for us is nearly impossible.

I think of Christmas as a kid's holiday.
    I like giving things to them.

Pretending to like the Harbor Freight gimcrack they buy is beyond my acting range.
    I ask them to make something for Mommy and Me, instead.

Those things are genuinely valued by us, as parents.

I would like to have a 24" planer, and a place to put it.

My big objective is to move away from a state that I don't like for reasons we are not aloud to talk about, and move to a place where I can have a little space for my activities, and that my kids might want to have after I check out of the system. One place I was looking at on the world wide web had a nice newer house, with a separate big two car garage with apartment over, and a 36 by 60 hvac'd barn, at a price that I could just about afford.

Plus, I don't know if I want a planer that has a knife grinder, or one with a tersa head.

In any case, this sort of thing is too heavy for Santa to get into the sled, so they weren't under the tree.

00Y0Y_73jrdAaenRS_600x450.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I would like to have a 24" planer, and a place to put it.

My big objective is to move away from a state that I don't like for reasons we are not aloud to talk about, and move to a place where I can have a little space for my activities, and that my kids might want to have after I check out of the system. One place I was looking at on the world wide web had a nice newer house, with a separate big two car garage with apartment over, and a 36 by 60 hvac'd barn, at a price that I could just about afford.

Plus, I don't know if I want a planer that has a knife grinder, or one with a tersa head.

In any case, this sort of thing is too heavy for Santa to get into the sled, so they weren't under the tree.

00Y0Y_73jrdAaenRS_600x450.jpg
    Man that sounds pretty nice Stephen. My wife and I are 57, We're thinking about maybe 1 more house, about the time we retire (10 more years or so), and if so it will be on a fair size piece of land with a nice shop out back. We'll see. I'd say we're about 50/50 on it.

We currently live in a typical suburb type of house and my shop is an attached 2 car garage.

As for Christmas, I'm still getting some woodworking items. There's a Woodcraft local to us (Leesburg, VA) and the kids know that Woodcraft cards are great gifts for me.

PHM

Don't you ALWAYS need wood?