Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frist time in a long time…..Not a single wood working item for Christmas. Am I alone

I'm in the same boat as you guys, there is nothing I really need. I'm content.

I elfed myself but only cuz I saw a rusty plane (Stanley #8), a few days before Christmas, for a price I just couldn't refuse. Really don't need anymore woodworking stuff, though I won't stop getting more .

Yup. Temporary woodworking equipment anhedonia but I'm expecting something new from Lee Valley will change that. I am looking forward to the LN show in Minneapolis late February and will surely buy something, if only an O-1 replacement for my 4 1/2 iron. Recently got a 20' hose extension for my Ridgid/Dust Vortex bungee-monster and am happy to be able to vacuum almost anywhere without trying to maneuver the beast around obstructions.

My wife bought me a nice blow gun from the Napa store, but then I showed her how I had installed compressed air in her kitchen cabinets for dusting corners in her new house, and she took it back......

So ya, end result was ziltch.

Larry

Excellent sentiments Jim, I agree.

I stopped accepting Christmas presents about a decade ago, like you, I had all that I could reasonably want.

In lieu of presents, my family buys Christmas dinner for 100 people at local shelters................Merry Christmas................Rod.

I'm not sure what's worse...getting nothing or receiving a 2hp Ryobi Plunge Router from my in-laws without a gift receipt attached. This is going to be tricky...

I thought I was being very obvious with my wife, leaving catalogs, magazines and circulars out with items circled and post its sticking out with notes. I'm assuming the only thing that got communicated was "He wants a new plunge router".

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    My wife bought me a nice blow gun from the Napa store, but then I showed her how I had installed compressed air in her kitchen cabinets for dusting corners in her new house, and she took it back......

Larry
    I am confused, needs pics!

Ben

No woodworking gifts for me but I have so much stuff already that I don't need anything. We donated to the Madison Street Veterans Association. It's a place to help homeless vets get on their feet again. If you are looking for a well run but not well known charity it's a place I can recommend.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Excellent sentiments Jim, I agree.

I stopped accepting Christmas presents about a decade ago, like you, I had all that I could reasonably want.

In lieu of presents, my family buys Christmas dinner for 100 people at local shelters................Merry Christmas................Rod.
    Rod, If you're in a charitable mood, I have spotted a few things you could send to Kentucky in your posts.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Truth is I don't need anything, or what I do need I buy as I need it. But mostly, I've reached a place called done!
    I'm there too. I walk down the tool isles at the hardware stores and there's nothing I don't already have. I have all the hand, power and stationary tools I need, maybe a CNC or big sander, but I really don't have space for them otherwise I would already have them! Right now I'm holding several Sears gift cards that I don't know what I'm going to do with... and it's just not just tools that I'm done with, it's kitchen appliances, clothes, electronics, furniture, etc... basically I'm done buying stuff. Period. I would actually preferred to get gift cards to a grocery store, because I'm buying food and eating all the time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Man that sounds pretty nice Stephen. My wife and I are 57, We're thinking about maybe 1 more house, about the time we retire (10 more years or so), and if so it will be on a fair size piece of land with a nice shop out back. We'll see. I'd say we're about 50/50 on it.

We currently live in a typical suburb type of house and my shop is an attached 2 car garage.

As for Christmas, I'm still getting some woodworking items. There's a Woodcraft local to us (Leesburg, VA) and the kids know that Woodcraft cards are great gifts for me.

PHM
    Paul, I'm one state up from you, and lots of people are moving one state down from you . Super nice people, BBQ, and still a little space. I know one thing for sure, if I move, I would generally prefer something a little warmer. By the way, I somethimes go to the springfield Woodcraft, and that's a nicely run store. Plenty of stock, and good people working there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

Larry

You need to show her just how useful that is with a tasty crispy duck. You can do the same with chicken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Paul, I'm one state up from you, and lots of people are moving one state down from you . Super nice people, BBQ, and still a little space. I know one thing for sure, if I move, I would generally prefer something a little warmer. By the way, I somethimes go to the springfield Woodcraft, and that's a nicely run store. Plenty of stock, and good people working there.
    Stephen,

Oh we know about North Carolina. When we retire I imagine we'll be living in either Virginia or North Carolina.

You're right about a little warmer place sounding pretty good too.

PHM

I have lusted for a Kitchen Aid mixer since 1975. Wouldn't buy one as at that time they were $39.99, which was way too much. Well the Thursday before Christmas, my wife's husband broke down and bought me one. He got it at Lowes on sale ($159.99) using gift money, gift cards, along with merchandise return card to pay for the bulk of it. He's a keeper in my opinion. Got another item (woodworking) which I want to return as I already on a similar item which I seldom use.

We are just about to move into a new house so my wife and I agreed to keep it simple which will reduce clutter and expense. It was nice. We got each other thoughtful gifts that we both needed and had been putting off. It takes a little more thought when you try to limit size and expense of gifts.

Otherwise I think I have most of waht I need for woodworking. That and/or my preferences ahve gotten so specific that it would be hard to shop for me. I've mentioned Lee Valley and Amazon gift cards in the past but no one has picked up on it. The truth is, I like getting things that I don't typically shop for... clothes. I buy stuff when I happen to be out and it is usually when I really need it.
    Gary