Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threading Question

Threading Question

I have the means to buy one set of thread chasing tools. But I am unsure as to which one to get.
    There are 10TPI, 16TPI, 20TPI etc. So the question... If you could only have one, which would be
    the most universally useful set? I have been reading and watching videos on making chasers and
    plan to try that "soon". But for now, I just want to get one set of chasers and get at it. Any
    advice would be appreciated.
    David DeCristoforo

David:
    I have the 16tpi set that I use for threading the lids for the pet urns I turn. I found them quite manageable to learn. Since I don't use them very often I do have to reteach myself the techniques but have ruined very few pieces.

Michael

David, I think it depends somewhat on what you wish to thread. Larger urns can easily support a 10tpi thread, but for all round work, I think the 16tpi might be the most popular. I think the 20tpi threads are a bit fragile for most work.

It's my understanding that the coursers threads are better for soft woods. The thread will be physically bigger and less likely to chip out.

I've got the 20 tpi set that I picked up lightly used. If I had it to do over, I'd get the 16 tpi set. The 20 threads are a bit small and fragile. I haven't heard of many folks using the 10 tpi set, but as John said, they might work well for larger stuff. The finer threads are supposed to be easier to pick up technically, but a high stepper like yourself shouldn't have any trouble with any of the sets.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    David, I think it depends somewhat on what you wish to thread. Larger urns can easily support a 10tpi thread, but for all round work, I think the 16tpi might be the most popular. I think the 20tpi threads are a bit fragile for most work.
    What John said.

7. I have been thinking for a while about getting this unit for threading. My family was generous to me for Christmas so the funds are available............I have two issues however...........

One, I would think one needs to make a lot of things with threads to be able to justify the expense and then sell them.....right now I am not selling, but perhaps begin to later next year, and two.......with two lathes which size to get......since I have a Delta 46-460, I think the smaller unit would be okay, but it would be nice to have the unit for my big lathe.......I would have to make a choice.....either one or the other.

I am thinking about either the 8 pitch threads or the 10 pitch........I just like the look of the larger threads better.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-27-2013 at 8:24 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I made a couple of pairs of thread chasers and have played with them a bit. I first made a 10 TPI set and then a 16 TPI set. The 16's are easier to use and I have read a couple of articles that indicate the same thing. The problem with the 10 tpi chasers is that they are so coarse that you can get double threads. The problem with the finer ones (24 or 32) are that the threads are very fine. Thread chasers need really hard wood like boxwood or blackwood so that the threads hold up. Roger's idea of getting a Baxter Thread Master is a good but expensive one. It is my understanding that systems like this will cut threads in our normal hardwoods (like maple and cherry) that are too soft for thread chasing. My suggestion is to go with the 16 and avoid the others until you have more experience.

Cheers,
    David

Get the unit for the smaller lathe. You can always add risers under it and if needed a different chuck adapter so it will work on the bigger lathe. That is a lot cheaper than a second unit.

I have the 16 tpi and 20tpi thread chasers. The 16tpi would be the best size to start with in my opinion. I have a jig that cuts 10tpi and they look a little too coarse for most boxes in my opinion.
    God is great and life is good!

I would also suggest 16tpi. A good happy medium. I ruined several pieces of expensive African Blackwood practicing before reading that PVC pipe is good practice material, and it's a lot cheaper. Might want to keep that in mind.

Not 10, since you really have to move fast, 20 is ok, but some woods might not like fine threads. So 16 is the winner for me. I bought a uni-chaser from ashley Iles. You can see it in action if you google John Berkeley: Ashley Iles Unichaser Demonstration. I've only watched the 2 piece sets used and this single tool makes since to me. Lastly....David your handy enough and could make your own.

I bought the Sorby set with 16 tpi. I also use corian and adapt it to the urn,etc. Saves destroying the urn for threading as you only have one shot at it. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Not 10, since you really have to move fast....
    Actually, your speed should be adjusted so that the "advance" speed of the chaser is the same in all situations. The 10 tpi will advance faster, but if the lathe speed is slowed to your "comfort" level (CRT = Correct Rate of Travel), then the feel should be the same. As I recall, once one finds their comfort speed with any given tpi, take the rpm – and divide it by the tpi. That will give you a CRT that is unique to you. Then, for another thread size, simply multiply the tpi by your CRT and that should give you the same comfortable advance speed.

For example, if you can comfortably thread 16tpi at 320rpm, then your CRT is 20. That would produce a CRT at 10tpi of 200rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Actually, your speed should be adjusted so that the "advance" speed of the chaser is the same in all situations. The 10 tpi will advance faster, but if the lathe speed is slowed to your "comfort" level (CRT = Correct Rate of Travel), then the feel should be the same. As I recall, once one finds their comfort speed with any given tpi, take the rpm – and divide it by the tpi. That will give you a CRT that is unique to you. Then, for another thread size, simply multiply the tpi by your CRT and that should give you the same comfortable advance speed.

For example, if you can comfortably thread 16tpi at 320rpm, then your CRT is 20. That would produce a CRT at 10tpi of 200rpm.
    Ummm......

John,

Does wood turning involve math!!!? Oh no... NOT THAT!