Thread: Long but Fun Day Yesterday

Long but Fun Day Yesterday

Yesterday was a long but fun day.
    I'm going to be assisting Steve Sinner with deep hollowing classes at Marc Adams school of woodworking and Arrowmont this spring & summer. So we decided to start getting wood for the classes today. Steve & I started the day off harvesting a hickory & a cherry tree. About a 40 mile round trip to and from the timber. Weather as sunny and about 25 degrees with about 6" of snow on the ground. We harvested enough to rough out some were between 50 to 60 vessels. Steve brings some dry roughed out pieces for each student & the schools supply the green wood for the classes. So each student gets to work on roughing out a green piece & finishing turning a dry piece in the class.
    Everything went smoothly with that. So after we had some lunch and unloaded the wood we went ahead and started working on the roughing outs. We managed to get 6 pieces roughed & studio cleaned up before we called it a day.
    Now only about 50 or so more to rough out. I think there's actually a lot of work preparing for these classes that is unknown to a lot of people. But it's all part of it.
    Any way it was a long but fun & productive day.

2. Nice of you to share this with us Joe. The guys who do not harvest their own wood from either standing timber or laying on the ground as a whole tree, do not know how much work it really is. I enjoy harvesting wood, provided I have some help to do it........more hands and organized process can make for quick work, although hard work.

I have never harvested wood in the morning and then roughed a bunch of forms out the same day.......that sounds too much like work, not fun!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, your right it is a lot of work. But it was the perfect day for it. Sunny,25 degrees no wind a little snow on the ground. The trees fell just as planned. I actually felt like I could have spent the whole day just wondering around the timber. But when there's that much turning to do ya have to get at it.

Thanks for sharing. I met Steve at Totally Turning in Saratoga Springs, NY this spring, great guy, I would love to take a class from him sometime.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I must have missed the pictures. Did not look like any work to me, but did sound cold. What size are the rough outs?

Sounds like a fun day. Illiana turners just took down two box elders. One had red, some fiddle and birds eye to boot. 6 guys 3 chainsaws. We took 80 to 90 bowl blanks. Sure helps when you have good help. Enjoy the time at the schools.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I must have missed the pictures. Did not look like any work to me, but did sound cold. What size are the rough outs?
    Didn't take any time for pictures, to much to do that day. The rough turnings will varie in size but will mostly be some where around 10" to 12" tall.