Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to the Amish: Where do you guys get those air powered routers?

Question to the Amish: Where do you guys get those air powered routers?

I am looking to find a well made and well engineered air powered router similar to a PC-690. Do any of you guys know about companies making air powered routers? How about any companies making tools for the amish?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Only air powered router I know of is this one from McMaster.com,

3773A11 <table class="FullWidthBorder" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" height="70" width="428"> <tbody><tr> <td class="PartNbrDesc">1-1/2 hp Air-Powered Router 20000 Rpm AT 90 PSI, 38 CFM</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="StockandPrice" align="left">In stock at $632.30 Each</td></tr></tbody> </table> Probably more than you need?

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McDuffie
    Only air powered router I know of is this one from McMaster.com,

3773A11 <TABLE class=FullWidthBorder height=70 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width=428 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=PartNbrDesc>1-1/2 hp Air-Powered Router 20000 Rpm AT 90 PSI, 38 CFM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=StockandPrice align=left>In stock at $632.30 Each</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Probably more than you need?
    If the router isn't, the compressor will be...

Amish Router-Sort of Off Topic???

Guess I am missing something? I know the Amish restrict their use of "modern" conveniences; but if a regular electric router is off limits, then how is an air compressor acceptable for use???

I'm going out to Amish country this morning to get some wood and offer condolences to the community (two days ago, a jerk was in a hurry and rammed a buggy on the highway, right where I get my wood....10 people were severely hurt and the horse was put down)

I'll ask about the air-powered router, although, most of the people I know use diesel engines that power an under-floor pulley system. But I'll check. I'm sure they know, even if they don't use them.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Oh...Here's the article:

GEAUGA COUNTY – Authorities are investigating a horrible accident Thursday night involving a buggy and a car.

<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It happened on Burton/Windsor Road, which is east of Route 528 in Geauga County near Burton.

The driver of the car was reportedly attempting to pass the buggy and slammed into the back of it, destroying the buggy.

Among those involved in the accident were a 2-month-old who was flown to Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital, 14-month-old twins, a 2-year-old, a 3 year-old that was flown to MetroHealth Medical Center, a 4-year-old who was also flown to Rainbow, and four adults.

The horse had to be put down.

No fatalities were reported Thursday night.

Authorities say buggy/car crashes are on the rise -- averaging three per week.
    ~john

It's been a while, but I know of an Amish fellow who runs a diesel/hydraulic shop. He'll buy used woodworking equipment at auctions, then pull the electric motors and put in hydraulic motors(?). He also runs a greenhouse, and uses a generator to provide power to his cash register. But, he's off the grid.

Besides, who on here is Amish? I can't say I've ever seen any on a computer...certainly not one connected to the Internet.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason

Around here there are old-order Mennonites (very similar beliefs to the Amish). I was in one of their shops where they make columns a few years ago, and in the back of the office there were two computers with nice 21" Sony screens, hooked up to the internet. Everything was run off the diesel electric generator in the shop. Quite often they're allowed different modern luxuries for the running of the business than they are for the home. Same farm had no hydro to the house. Go figure. I'll never forget the first time I saw a Mennonite fellow at an auction whip out a cell phone and make a call.

Steve
    Often the local minister

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Jason

Around here there are old-order Mennonites (very similar beliefs to the Amish). I was in one of their shops where they make columns a few years ago, and in the back of the office there were two computers with nice 21" Sony screens, hooked up to the internet. Everything was run off the diesel electric generator in the shop. Quite often they're allowed different modern luxuries for the running of the business than they are for the home. Same farm had no hydro to the house. Go figure. I'll never forget the first time I saw a Mennonite fellow at an auction whip out a cell phone and make a call.

Steve
    Often the local minister
    Yeah...sometimes it's funny what you see sometimes. The guy who sells me wood arrives in his buggy but his office is air conditioned, he sits in front of his computer and calculates wood prices on a digital desktop calculator (with one hand fast) and a state-of-the-art walkie-talkie around his neck. He drives the towmotor and a front-end loader. But I guarantee that his house has no modern conveniences. Wierd to see
    ~john

Hey Steve,

I'm not far from you (in Guelph) which puts me pretty close to Mennonite country (St.Jacobs, Elmira) There are a lot of woodworkers in the area doing some very fine work. All of the Mennonite shops I've been to have completely modern shops. I've seen CNC routers and even a Felder or two. It's funny to see horse and buggy tied up outside the shop and the guy inside programming the CNC Without proving my ignorance, I believe their beliefs allow them to separate business and homelife.
    I grew up in Elora and I've always enjoyed living in Mennonite country, gives me hope for this world somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Jason

Steve
    Often the local minister

John...

Please give my regards to those folks who were hurt. It is irritating. When some people go tooling around rual areas esp. in the spring-summer, its not uncommon to find horses, tractors and strange farm machines crusing the back roads. In fact, my brother and i were about 10 when we learned to drive the tractor on the roads. It was a loop hole. You needed to be at least 16 years old to get a driver's lic. but no one said anything about how old you have to be to drive a tractor in a rual area. We had these large multi colored orange triangles on the fenders. If I am not mistaken, dont the amish buggies have those as well?

I prefer air power over electrical power. Granted its a pain to run air and maintain a compressor but I do love how air power acts. It also expels debris from the motor section as opposed to inhaling it as you have with electron burners. Why do you think body shops are almost all air powered?

What I would like to get is a router about the size of a 690 with comparable features that runs on air.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I live in the heart of the Pennsylvania Amish Country. My wife grew up here in Bareville and is from a Mennonite Family, and knows many Amish (Plain) people.
    My first house was built by E.G. Stoltzfus, a former Amishman. His crew was mainly Amish (Plain) folk. Note, Amish people choose to join the the church or be excommunicated around the age of 18.
    When it comes to Tools and Farm Implements, the Amish adhere to the order of their church rules that, they when at all possible refrain from modern convieniences.
    However, there are circumstances where it is appropriate, and the church allows the use of Modern convieniences.
    E.G. air vs. electric router... Even though they would use an electric router, they would prefer to use an air powered router running off a gasoline powered compressor, as opposed to running an electric powered generator. Their theory is, that air compressor operatated tools are far closer to their Plain life than electric.
    An Amishman explained to me one time that what is allowed by the church in the running of the farm or cottage industries, must be as close to their Plain lifestyle as or if possible. If a modern convienience is allowed to support the income of a particular farm or church and a community, it would be allowed. However, that same convienience would not be allowed in their home.
    So while the use of an electric router may be needed in an employ, they would not be living in a home of modern electrical convieniences.

Bruce Overholt, (Oberholtzer)

large orange triangles

Those large multicolored orange triangles are slow moving vehicle signs. SMV
    Jim

Well I just got back from my wood run. Did pretty well. Got about 2000 pounds of Ambrosia Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Ash, and Hickory. Even picked up some oak...just because it was interesting looking.

Most of the Amish were at home today and I guess that accident occurred out in front of the sawmill that we went to. The sawmill was closed but we had permission to raid the place even though no one was there. I was unable to speak to anyone today about tools as the conversations were such that it might have been inappropriate. I'll ask next weekend when things are better.

But yes Dev...the amish have to have slow-moving vehicle signs on their buggy by law. Unfortunately, as hilly as some of these roads are, you don't see the triangles until you're right up on them. But that's still no excuse. In that area, you'll see a buggy every 2 or 3 minutes so folks should be wary all the time. Next week, when I ask about the pneumatic tools, I will extend your best wishes for you as you've requested. Trust me, they will appreciate it.
    ~john

15. We visited an Amish family in Lancaster county some years ago. They lived on a farm, but their pricipal income was cabinetmaking (kitchen). I asked to see his shop and we went out with a lantern which was just enough light to see a whole shopfull of big powermatic tools. He had switched all the motors to pneumatic ones run by a compressor outside the shop! He said electricity was ok outside of the building. His son also made furniture and he had an even bigger shop, powered the same way. Another interesting loophole is that they can use a tractor but they have to hitch horses in front of it.

John Zimmerman