Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Woodworking New Year Resolutions

Mine is to get that I O U cashed in on building our house that gave my wife when we bought land and built my shop 6 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I want to redouble my shop efforts in getting rid of things I "just had to have" that I actually only used once, or once a year. There are things that are just nice to have and that's great. There are also things that I keep because I bought/acquired them even though they serve no real purpose. This is the year for the tough decisions .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Get my shop set up in my new (to me) house and start making sawdust.
    ~Garth

Double up the safety issues, and spend more time on good design rather than "hip-shooting" projects.
    That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

5. I need to start and then finish my projects, one at a time. I have too many interests, woodworking among them, but even just there I end up starting one project, half finishing it, getting sidetracked with another. The end result is lots of half finished projects, lots of clutter and no space. This is a real problem for me as my shop space is so limited in the best of cases

I have two simple goals; o get better at sharpening and finishing. I've got the tools to do both I just need to practice.
    Wood'N'Scout

Clean, Vacuum, Clean, Vacuum!

At the end of the day, I'm usually pushing toward reaching a goal before I quit. The LAST thing I want to do after that is clean the shop when I'm done.

Which means that mess is the first thing I face the next morning. UGH.

I'm hoping my new (Thank You, Sweetie Claus!) Oneida Dust Deputy helps in that regard. Not having to clean the filter on my vac should be a huge incentive to vacuum up the mess quickly and then come down to a clean(ish)* shop in the morning.

*No need to get crazy or anything...

Don't usually do resolutions, but am determined to finish up the storage and get all the stuff moved into it. Yesterday I made a vertical rack, and last night moved some boards into it, holds lots more than the flat stack. And can see what I have. Have to make a few more of the racks and get all the boards off the rack before I can move it. Then when that is finished, re hook up my cyclone, run a new circuit for some lights that go where the rack was, and where my new assembly table will go. Also plan to lay another layer of fiberglass batts over the shop ceiling, in the old part. Put r 33 in the storage room, used 3 layers of r11 batts I bought at Menards on sale. The shop has r19 batts, so a layer of r11 should fix that up. Then, in February have to get the new saw hooked up, assume I have to replace the wire as my hp is increasing on the new saw, along with the dust collection will be different. All this before I can build anything.

Well, lots to do. Build a house, garage and shop. I'm probably a couple/three months away from starting the house, but have been living with dad since last May. To ease that situation, I'm also in the process of buying a small fixer-upper house that needs about $50K of work done to it to make it something I want to live in. And, as soon as the weather warms up, I need to spray finish the last dozen+ kitchen cabinet doors, and then I'll be finished (well, almost) with dad's house (still need to make a cherry buffet, a spacer for the microwave, and something else that escapes me right now).

So, as soon as I get a shop, I'll be "in it" up to my neck. Can't wait!!

Cut more dovetails by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conklin View Post
    Spend more time actually woodworking and less time in front of the television and computer.
    Ditto. Just daydreaming about wood doesn't get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conklin View Post
    Spend more time actually woodworking and less time in front of the television and computer.
    +1. for me throw in: fixing the house up, lawn/landscape maintenance
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Finish something for a change.

This is easy for me.
    I'm slowly but surely parting ways with residential construction and looking forward to improving to cabinet level.

1. Get my shop insulated.
    2. Get wood stove installed.
    3. Buy a bandsaw.
    4. Get air conditioner installed.
    5. While doing the previous four items: finish designing and building new dining room table, bedroom end tables, entertainment center, and sideboard for SWMBO.