Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfort foods

Comfort foods

When I was a kid, times were pretty lean for my parents and mom became expert in fixing simple/inexpensive but tasty meals for the family. One of her regulars was a depression-era recipe from my grandmother they had dubbed "Porcupine Meatballs".

It couldn't be simpler - ground beef meatballs with some minced onion, S&P, and dry rice, placed in a casserole dish and covered with tomato soup. Once cooked, it's served in a bowl with shredded cheddar cheese and if we were lucky, a slab of garlic bread!

Something reminded me of that old recipe I hadn't seen in probably 25+ years. I mentioned it to my mother and for fun, she made some for our Christmas get together the other day.

It was a real time-warp and suddenly I was a kid again, sitting at the dinner table with mom and dad asking how my day at school went.

It got me thinking it might be a fun to take a culinary trip down memory lane. What kinds of comfort foods or other lost favorites do you recall which you haven't seen in years?

Easy, lefse.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

My Mother combined ground beef, frozen corn and fried potatos-we named it 'sick dog'-I still love it today!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    It couldn't be simpler - ground beef meatballs with some minced onion, S&P, and dry rice, placed in a casserole dish and covered with tomato soup. Once cooked, it's served in a bowl with shredded cheddar cheese and if we were lucky, a slab of garlic bread!
    That sounds pretty good. A suggestion/variation; put the mixture in a sweet pepper or go a little south and add some beans and swap out the sweet pepper for a poblano pepper.

Today I'm gonna make some ham and bean soup. My Mom used to make it on occasion in the winter time. I'm not going to follow her recipe though, don't think I have it. Soon I'm gonna make a casserole dish I have very fond memories of.

Go Pack!

We lived in similar circumstances, as I (1 of 5 kids) was born soon after the war in 1947. We had salt cod and pork scraps over mashed potatoes. The other popular item was creamed tuna and peas over toast. And all of us kids are still alive even though my 4 sisters all smoke cigarettes. I don't smoke....... cigarettes

Blog Entries
    What kinds of comfort foods or other lost favorites do you recall which you haven't seen in years?
    Most of my old favorites are also my current favorite comfort foods.

My mom was great with leftovers. There were five boys growing up under one roof. She would usually by large hunks of meat knowing that none would be wasted.

First day after a meal leftovers were used in sandwiches for our lunches.

Then:

Left over beef became beef stew.
    Left over turkey became soup.
    Left over ham was put in a pot of beans that were soaked overnight on low heat.
    We often had pork chops fried, drained and then covered with onions, peppers and tomato sauce. This was served with rice. When I make it mushrooms are added.
    Grilled cheese sandwiches are still one of my favorites and is one of the times American cheese is enjoyed. If there is some ham and mustard in the mix so much the better.

For one that I haven't had in years is one my mom called "goopers." She would mix hamburger with dry onion soup make a patty on top of half a french roll set it under the broiler and cover it with a slice of cheese for the last bit of cooking.

Easy, lefse.
    Easy for you to say. I seldom eat something I know nothing about.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Easy, lefse.
    What is that? I'm kind of scared to ask...

Dried beef (comes in a small jar) in a cream sauce on toast. I still like I every once in a while!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    What is that? I'm kind of scared to ask...
    It's a Norwegian thing. Like a crepe made with potatoes. Very good with butter and sugar or lingonberry jam.

Split pea soup with smoked ham hocks is one of my favorite comfort foods. And corn chowder which I made Friday afternoon. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Split pea soup with smoked ham hocks is one of my favorite comfort foods. And corn chowder which I made Friday afternoon. Yum!
    Oh that does sound good! I haven't had split pea w/ham in years!

You guys are spoiled, all these entrees would have been a luxury to me! We were 8 kids and rarely we ate meat, or fish, perhaps 3-4 times a year, no kidding! Unless we went hunting that is... The easiest mom would make was take the leftover pita bread that was no longer good to eat but not moldy, and cook it in olive oil in a tomato sauce base together with onions. Yep that was it. I unfortunately cannot eat it now due to gluten intolerance. Well, perhaps I got gluten intolerance from eating a lot of it as a kid

Sal.

Three things hit the memory button for me.

1: Stuffed bell peppers.

2: Pigs in a blanket....which for my mom was the above stuffing, wrapped in cabbage leaves.

3: Mock chicken...which was cheap (at the time) veal, ground and molded into drumstick shape, with a popsicle stick for a leg...sold them locally (Cleveland).

Rick Potter

Onion sandwich.
    Yummmmm!

During the Summer, mom would add fresh sliced tomatoes to it - double yummm!!!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    Dried beef (comes in a small jar) in a cream sauce on toast. I still like I every once in a while!
    You must be talking about Sh** on a Shingle!

Well I know I will be getting some laughs on this one but it was one we had when I was a kid a lot and now I have it now and then and still love it.

Potatoes, cottage cheese and apple sauce..

Boil the potatoes, then smash them on a plate about 3/4" thick, salt / pepper and butter them. Now put on a layer of cottage cheese and then a layer of apple sauce.

Don't knock it until you try it.....