Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IE11 is really about as bad as it gets

IE11 is really about as bad as it gets

Microsoft has set a new standard for delivering worthless carp with IE11.

That is all.

I have no dog in that fight - I use Chrome - but what's the problem with IE 11? Just interested.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have no dog in that fight - I use Chrome - but what's the problem with IE 11? Just interested.

Mike
    I use 'em all, as I have products w/ embedded httpd that can be somewhat picky.

So in terms of IE11, I get pretty frequent "Internet Explorer has stopped responding" messages visiting sites that just the day before worked flawlessly with IE10. Quite a few formatting issues, too.

Even here on SMC I have problems with composing a message. I can select "compatibility view" to fix the slow text entry, but then zooming in on a photo in another message by clicking on it seems to break (have to try opening it a few times).

Sometime ago, I had enough with IE and have been using chrome ever since with no problems.

Internet Explorer -- the browser you use to download another browser.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Chrome seems to be the way to go. Gave up on IE years ago.

Blog Entries
    IE is a requirement for several tools at work. A recent update caused all sorts of buggery. I have three words that may help . . . Compatibility View Settings.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Microsoft has set a new standard for delivering worthless carp with IE11.

That is all.
    Worse than I.E. 6?

I wish I had a way to get back to IE-10! IE-11 is the pits!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    IE is a requirement for several tools at work. A recent update caused all sorts of buggery. I have three words that may help . . . Compatibility View Settings.
    Yeah but, that doesn't fix all the bugs.

It is unfathomable to me that they would build a browser and more or less admit that it isn't standard by adding compatibility view options, which really only make it more compatible (not completely) with previous versions of their own browser, but nobody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I wish I had a way to get back to IE-10! IE-11 is the pits!
    You can typically uninstall 11 under Control Panel/Programs.

I haven't done it yet, but I probably will.

I was sort of expecting a flurry of patches to fix some of the issues I'm seeing.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 12-31-2013 at 9:44 AM.

Microsoft made a major change with IE 11 that is causing issues with some websites. IE 11 no longer identifies itself as MSIE to websites. Some websites depend on seeing the MSIE string to work properly with IE. Microsoft't own Outlook Web Access included with Exchange doesn't even work right with IE 11! (There is a patch for Exchange.)

The worst thing about IE 11 for me is the stupid security settings. Microsoft is trying to make IE more secure, but it makes old websites break. If one changes the security settings then IE nags you to change security back to default every time you go to a website that needs the security changes.

I don't trust Google all that much, so I use Firefox.
    I always delete the IE icon on my desktop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I don't trust Google all that much, so I use Firefox.
    I always delete the IE icon on my desktop.
    Yup, although Firefox can have 'issues' with some web sites that may have proprietary/sloppy/insecure components. Oftentimes restarting with add-ons disabled fixes the issue, occasionally it doesn't. I keep a copy of Chromium for such occasions. If neither one works, I figure there's nothing there I really need.

I use Firefox mostly, but I use IE 11 for some things. I've really seen no issues yet other than the Exchange OWA thing and some weird stuff at work with some ancient web stuff.

Browser compatibility is an ongoing battle. At work I deal with web stuff that employees use at both home and work. Work PCs are fairly standard so everything works fine at work. The problem is home PCs owned by employees. Some employees upgrade to the latest browser and/or OS when it comes out and then complain when the stuff doesn't work, but others have ancient PCs with really old browsers and complain when things stop working. We finally just told everyone they had to have Windows XP or higher and IE8 or higher on home PCs for things to work. So far, everything still works with IE8 and also still works with IE 11.