Thread: Question for Unisaw Owners

Question for Unisaw Owners

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the base of a Delta Unsaw? I'm getting my saw on Saturday (pre-cloat...pics to follow), and need to know if my existing mobile base will fit, or whether I need to buy a new one. If it helps, the base was under my Delta contractor's saw, and no, I don't remember the dimensions.

Thanks!
    Sam/Atlanta

Sam,
    My Uni mobile base (from Delta, as part of a package), from 1992 or so, has an opening of 20.75, square. Don 't know if they have changed.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Sam,

After going through all that I did with the mobil bases I can tell you that the same base section is used for both the Delta Contractors saw and the the Unisaw. You just need the proper extension kit for whatever fence you are getting (30" or 50/52").

Thanks, guys. I have the Shop Fox base, and it's adjustable, so I can always make it smaller. I just needed to make sure it wasn't more than and inch or two bigger than the footprint of my contractor's saw.
    Sam/Atlanta

So...Sam...are you getting one of those Unis that need a few parts, or did you bite on the whole saw?
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 06-16-2005 at 4:20 PM.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    So...Sam...are you getting one of those Unis that need a few parts, or did you bight on the whole saw?
    Maurice, I'm getting the last of the new, but stripped down, 3hp X5 Unisaws that Redmond has. This one still has the cosmolene on the table, and the motor cover. It's missing several things:

1. Power switch. The Delta one is nearly $200, so I'm ordering a generic switch from Grizzly. Then, my new buddy Dev is going to tell me how to wire the flippin' thing!

2. Fence. Not a problem, as I'm migrating my Jointech Saw Train from my contractor's saw to the Unisaw. (I may see if Redmond has a decent used fence that I can sell with my contractor saw.)

3. Miter gauge. I can buy one locally for around $30, so this isn't a big deal either.

4. Blade tilt handwheel and lock. I'll have to order those, but they're not very expensive.

5. Cast iron wings. I would prefer to have one to the right, but I'll just build my extension table a little bigger. I'm going to add my router table extension on the left, so I don't need one there either.

6. Blade guard/splitter assembly. It's inadequate to begin with, and I was thinking about changing to the MicroJig splitter and a GRR-Ripper, so that's not a big deal.

7. Dust collection port. I'll have to order that as well, but they're pretty cheap.

Overall, it'll need a few parts, but it's still a steal at $500.

I'll be selling my contractor saw soon, so if you know anyone in the area who wants one, let me know.
    Sam/Atlanta

Here's another question for you guys....

I've been thinking about how I'm going to get a 400+ lb. Unisaw out of my Honda minivan without dropping the saw and/or injuring my neighbors who will be helping me. So far, I'm not really enthused about my alternatives. Any thoughts?
    Sam/Atlanta

You could always cut the minivan away from the saw......

Seriously, maybe some kind of ramp is in order, along with an appliance dolly.
    Maurice

I sold the base from my Delta contractor saw to a guy with a Unisaw--the Unisaw actually was about 2-3 inches smaller each way. The legs on the saw are actually splayed out where the sides of the Unisaw are straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers
    I've been thinking about how I'm going to get a 400+ lb. Unisaw out of my Honda minivan without dropping the saw and/or injuring my neighbors who will be helping me. So far, I'm not really enthused about my alternatives. Any thoughts?
    Just deliver it to my house.....I'll get it off without damaging the van or the saw! Congrats on the buy....Green with envy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    You could always cut the minivan away from the saw......
    I thought about that, actually. It'd be the ultimate mobile base - with a 220hp engine! But we like the van, and it's too big to fit in my basement shop anyway.
    Sam/Atlanta

I just went out and measured mine. It is twenty and one half inches by twenty and one half.

To unload it get a fold up engine hoist from Northern Tool. You can lift just about anything and roll it around to where ever you need it and sit it down. I use mine all of the time. When folded up it takes up about the same amount of space as your bandsaw.

You will love your new saw!!!! Allen

My Unisaw's Mobile Base...

Mine is one of the Delta mobile bases that has the crank on it. It lifts extension table and all... so it's quite long... I can measure it for you if you want. But I mention this in case you're at all concerned about moving the saw once your extension table is in place. I'm not "with my saw" right now... but my base is at least 60" wide. Maybe that won't be an issue with you -- depending on what kind of extension table you're considering. But it's something to think about -- lifting the saw and not the extension table wouldn't work for me.

Good luck on putting your saw together!

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    I just went out and measured mine. It is twenty and one half inches by twenty and one half.

To unload it get a fold up engine hoist from Northern Tool. You can lift just about anything and roll it around to where ever you need it and sit it down. I use mine all of the time. When folded up it takes up about the same amount of space as your bandsaw.

You will love your new saw!!!! Allen
    Thanks, Allen. That's good news on the dimensions. I will just need to cut the rails on my existing mobile base a little, or they might adjust in enough.

Good idea about the engine hoist. Maybe I'll go rent one for the day.
    Sam/Atlanta