Thread: Redbud vase in progress

Redbud vase in progress

This is a redbud from our yard. The vase is about 22" in length, rough-turned and is currently drying. I used my 6' long boring bar to hollow.

C&C welcome

IMG_7034.jpgIMG_7037.jpgIMG_7041.jpgIMG_7046.jpgIMG_7065.jpgIMG_7064.jpg

Hey there is a piece missing Eric , WOW nice so far, hope you are going to finish it soon
    Have fun and take care

Very cool Eric. do you wrap it just to keep it together? That will be stunning when finished.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

you are brave! it's gonna be fantastic when it's done..super wood
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

5. Love the process pics, Eric.............this looks like an adventure! If you can pull this off to a good finish, then you will have a real treasure on your hands!

Nice work indeed!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's a big one!

I like the ring that allows the use of a steady over the voids.

What diameter is your 6' boring bar? I have one nearly that long at 1.375" diameter, and it is a tad on the small size after about 18" depth.

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

It's gonna be great!

Thanks for the comments.

Dennis, I wrapped it in packing cling wrap mostly to help keep the moisture in. As I was hollowing, I ended up removing the wrap that was covering the large void to allow the shavings to escape easier.

Dale, the steady rest "rail" worked out well. I had not done that before. My boring bar is 1.5" in diameter and made of stress proof rod.

Looking fwd to the finish fotos! Nice indeed .
    John 3:16

Cool!

Redbud is one of the more miserable woods to dry in my experience... Beautiful stuff, but it'll crack if I even look at it funny. I hope this piece behaves for you!

I like your steady rest track. I made something similar from 2 thickness of 3/4" plywood and cut a groove for wheels to use on a Bradford Pear trunk section piece once. I used some hot melt glue to attach and void space was not as great. My one experience with Redbud found the wood to have a bad odor, but did produce a pretty piece with contrasting grain. That should be quite a display piece when finished.