Thread: How to size a picture frame

How to size a picture frame

A long time ago I found a simple formula for making a picture frame to a specific size based on the picture. It took into account the desired width of the frame, the size of the picture, and I think a 16th extra for movement. Can anyone help me with this?

Stefan

You mean something like:

width of artwork (or mat) + (width of frame * 2) - (width of rabbet * 2) + 1/8"

Do the same for the height.

I'm sure there are more formulas, but I use this when cutting frames using the outside measurements. The extra 1/8" in width and height is to allow 1/16" all around the glass so there is no pressure on the glass.

Andy will tell you if I've screwed this up.

Cheers,

Allan

Not sure I understand your question, are you asking if, for example an image is 5 X 7, then the matte should be X being a frame size of X?

4 X 6 is 5 X 7
    5 X 7 is 8 X 10
    8 X 10 is 11 X 14

Anything over an 8 X 10 with respect to matte, is wide open. Some like european framing with a wide matte, frenceh with an anchor etc.

Andy

Hey Andy,

Somehow I read it that he wanted to figure out the size of the frame (cutting dimensions). You are probably on the right track.

I'm going back in the shop now.

Allan

I just want to make a frame for a specific sized picture. And I don't know how long to cut the pieces.

Stefan

I recall at one time seeinga formula wherein if you knew the size of your piece and the qidth of your stock, assuming a 3/8" rabbin, then the pieces would be X in length, I think this is what you are asking...?? I make all my stock in 6 or 8 foot lengths, run the rabbit in them then measure within the rabbit for the length so I don't really know or have the forumla you are looking for....

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    I just want to make a frame for a specific sized picture. And I don't know how long to cut the pieces.

Stefan
    A few years ago I decided to create an Excel spreadsheet to cover this rather tedious task. I have attempted to attach the file, which is set to a rather unusual 10 x 10 to help clarify what all this means.

Two pairs of colums. Left and right pair you enter the actual image size. Left colums, the matt sizes if any and the fame width. Thie indside/outside cut dimentions are calculated at the bottom.

If Italic, it's calculated. If a cell has a simple number, you can change the value. If it has a formula, then don't.

There is a set of measurements 'edge to opening' for marking the back of the matt for cutting. This is more accurate than the conventional border measurement since the matt needs only one square corner.

I added the right pair to be used with an existing frame.
    In that case you enter the frame size and the matt sizes are calculated to fit the photo.
    What it looks like...

See attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I tried to attach the FrameCalculator.xls, but it doesn't appear to be available? Must have not attached it properly? If anyone wants it just PM me.
    Last edited by George Matthews; 06-12-2005 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Typo..

Thanks for the frame calculator !!! I've been going crazy trying to figure out the dimensions to cut the wood for my first frame for a painting my brother did. It will make it a lot easier and less wood wasted and less aggravation...

10. Hector'sFrameCalculator.xlsHi Allan,

Do you mean something like the attached? Attached example is for an A4 picture or mat. Would that mean I could just use the "measurements for frame" to dimension using the SCMS and then route a rabbet to accept the picture?

George,

I know it has been a while since the FrameCalculator.xls but I'd like it if you still can send it! drsneed1@me.com or on the Sawmill creek. Thx Dennis Sneed

Chances are pretty slim Dennis - George hasn't been active on here since 2008. Maybe someone else who received it can send it to you.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night